getting a CDL "on my own"...with good help?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by KylerLaird, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Crazy to think how much different things were 6 - 7 years ago. These days if you pass every single part of the CDL test from the written to the course to the road on the very first try, you're lucky.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KylerLaird

KylerLaird Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Great suggestion, Rubber duck kw! I have two trucks that need to go in for inspections. I'll ask if I can shadow the mechanic for a bit.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I did same 26 yrs ago just studied State CDL Book from Secretary if State in Mi.Failed 1st Pre-Trip and Law said 3rd Party had to give 2 nd chance no charge. Passed but failed Driving by technicality sidewall of trailer tire not tread overlapped base of cone on right turn. Anyway the Tester told me for $3000 I could attend his school and I really should for my own good.That explained the 48 ft spread axle trailer He had me Testing with. Found new Test site passed with Flying colors and offered a Job as soon as I had 6 mo experience.Test was $50 and Truck rental was $50 for 1st failed attempt with the Local Idiot. Second test $50 used Fathers Company Truck. He did me a huge favor would have been fired for sure had something went wrong. Good Luck It’s not that complicated . Seeing some straight out of School it’s a wonder they got passed.

austinmike and KylerLaird Thank this.
  5. KylerLaird

Oct 13, 2018
    Well, that sure sounds easy enough. The 160 hours that the schools are offering shocked me a bit. That's a lot more than learning to fly (Private, not Commercial) so I assumed it would be at least as much to learn.

6. KylerLaird

Oct 13, 2018
    Good point about the spread axle. My old 48' tandem refer might help me get through the test with a bit less effort.

It doesn't sound like failing is a big deal. I'm tempted to just start taking tests so that I get a feel for it.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    No that's just how much dumber a lot of the people going to a school for driving a truck are, not all of them, just enough to make you wonder what the heck is all involved.

KylerLaird Thanks this.
  8. Alstartaylor

Alstartaylor Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019

9. Alstartaylor

Mar 19, 2019
    I have an honest question of how to get started if you would kindly help me down the right path

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you do it, you had better get your CDL before Feb 7, 2020. After that date one can no longer get a CDL without taking classes.

And in reality, unless you got a CDL for the farm equipment, it's best to take the schooling anyway.

11. Alstartaylor

Mar 19, 2019
    Would u suggest going throw a school or one of those truck company schools? Thanks in advance

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.