Getting a new company truck as an experienced driver?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SomeWhereOverTheRoad, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    My company started me in 2017 International. After a month I was in a 2018 Volvo. We just got a bunch of new Cascadias in, but I want the Volvo

Badmon and SomeWhereOverTheRoad Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I got 40 years and don’t give a rats ### about truck. Just make sure everything works. From where I sit the view is the same regardless of brand or vintage
    Pull on the big girl parties and get your priorities in line
    ####ing millennials

4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You know jazz1 been reading his posts..think'in same thing. Should call himself "somewhere over the rainbow". My gosh cupcake. If you are half as great a trucker as you say you are, then get on out here and truck. Most all late model trucks ( say in last 20 years) are much nicer and more powerful than ever. Do yourself a favor and go to a antique trk show. See what the real men drove back in the day, even some women. You have 5 yrs experience you say. Left for 10 months you say. Now you are fussing about a new trk you want, wow! Is your post a joke? To me it is.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I guess a lot depends on their trade cycle they run in. Most decent companies will trade trucks before 500k miles, and have new trucks coming to be slightly higher then the retire rate. Then when your truck is retired, you should, in theory get a new truck. Place I work at gives top 10% drivers first choice as new ones are readied, and the new drivers might only get assigned a new truck if there's nothing else readied.

SomeWhereOverTheRoad Thanks this.
  6. SomeWhereOverTheRoad

SomeWhereOverTheRoad Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Right on, what company is that? All the new models are pretty great.

7. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You've obviously never driven an International with automatic.

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Volume. They're cheap and hiring. Get you one.

9. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Stay at the company you're at and ask for it. However, there are many drivers at Ozark have been there a long time and haven't got a new truck in years. Why? Their truck is reliable and they haven't asked for one.

If you change jobs chasing a new truck you'll start at day 1 again. You're not going to start any company (that I know of) as a company driver and be dropped into a new truck day one.

I had to go through 4 trucks with Ozark in 15 months, all mechanical issues, 3 in one day, before I finally got a new truck. The new truck isn't much "better" than the older one, just more reliable. I think it looks more modern but I can't see those looks from in the cab when I'm making money anyway.

10. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    First of all let me say that you DO NOT bring enough to the table. You need to get in line like everyone else and prove yourself. You think the guy that IS currently working for XYZ doesn't want a new truck?

But then again I don't know the BS you can throw to the recruiter/manager. Some guys just have a way about them to get what they want, ie loads, hometime, whatever.

11. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    NO.. this is the worst company from personal experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.