Getting a truck detailed. How much?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JustSonny, Jul 27, 2010.

1. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I hope to have a few days off once I'm assigned a truck. During that time I'd like to have the truck detailed, if necessary. What is a reasonable price to pay?

Also, I'll likely take my time off near Gulfport/Biloxi MS in case anyone knows a good place/person around there.

Even if the truck is relatively clean, I'll probably still want to have it gone over to get it as clean as possible before I start out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I've always done it myself, but it is a massive job. You have to take everything out than can be removed, and scrub it down including all the curtains. There is a lot of dust and debris buildup under the seats and under the cabinets. The floor needs to be scrubbed. There's heavy duty dust buildup just about everywhere if you look closely. Depending on how the previous driver lived, it can all be much worse than this.

I would expect that such a job, done well, would cost anywhere between $75 and $150 depending on the treatments and how bad it was to begin with. I do a full detail job about every three months. With a few breaks, it usually takes an entire day. And your hands and fingers can get all bruised and cut up trying to reach the nooks and crannies.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It depends on what you mean by getting "detailed". Inside and outside? Outside will cost you up to $500 (wash,wax,tanks/wheels polished etc.) The inside will vary, but figure $150. It's not that hard to do it yourself. Just allow a half a day or so and if you can park in your driveway, it's easy. Good old soapy water and towels, glass cleaner, Fantastic etc. If you have it done, you'll need to find someone to do it. Some truck stop "ladies" offer to "clean the inside" for $25, as you are probably aware of by now.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Just my "off color, wayward initial thought" regarding this NEWEST QUESTION from our soon to return full time questioner....OBGYN:

Soon, the day is drawing near, that OBGYN will be handed a key (no OBGYN, from Swift there is no SET OF KEYS) to a very large, very dirty, abnormally bad smelling...BIG RIG. Already our OBGYN has considered what he is being paid as the co-driver of the Mentor truck, and will within the time of blinking an eye...OBGYN will be put in the position of a wealthy man...earning a whopping $0.26 cents per mile. Just think everyone, OBGYN will be earning $1.00 every time he passes that third mile marker and approaching the fourth mile marker...another dollar to be crammed into his purse, while battling the ever ready to escape pet moths that regularly reside within said purse.

Now with this potential new found wealth...the decision process has begun...the wheels are spinning, like the exercise wheel in the hamsters cage.

How will he spend? :biggrin_25524:

What will he invest in? :biggrin_2558:

Can he afford to replace his brown stained pink panties? He did see a nice lace pair hanging on the rack at WalMart, (or was that on the girl in the changing room who left the curtain open a smidge as he was testing a pair of binoculars across the aisle?) :biggrin_25511:

OBGYN's head is spinning with the major purchasing power that $0.26 cpm brings! :biggrin_25523:

6. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Old I know you've been all through these threads and have read the several on cleaning the interior of trucks. Here is one where I go through the details http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-whats-best-way-disinfect-steering-wheel.html and I know I've done another. As for paying someone don't waste your time on a "lady" at the truck stop! All shes going to do is run a dust buster, spray a little of that crappy Armour All, and maybe smear your windows for you!

Me if you were here in Town you'd have to drop the wagon and come to my back yard with at least $150.cash in hand up to $200 for MY services in cleaning out a pig pen! BUT save yourself the money! Have that plastic trash can, the Mr Clean tooth brush and larger scrub brush, auto sponge, several of those small hand towels from walley's place or whatever and windex and roll of paper towels or whatever you use for your windows.

When you have a 34 reset, park under a tree or idle the truck and go to town! It'll kill some time and you'll figure out how things are put together in a FL and get to know your truck and you just might find things that the previous drivers lost such as money, jewelery and drugs!
    Have fun and keep your money in your pocket!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    :biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514: :biggrin_2559:

JustSonny and otherhalftw Thank this.
  8. TREE

TREE Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2010
    OHIO
    My father pays $75 for a Chevy fullsize 4x4 (Which i think his son could do it since its his)
    So since i am a cheap skate i would od it myself:biggrin_25524:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Let me get this straight...a little round-about way of thinking from a "FATHER" type:

Father pays $75.00 to detail a Chevy Full Size 4X4...(wouldn't think he would pay that much for a scale model)...anyway...this Chevy 4X4, which is owned by the son, which the father pays to get cleaned, which the son claims he COULD do it himself...but instead, admits he is a "CHEAP SKATE" (the son is of course...as Father is paying to have the work done, that the son WON"T do) because the son is "OD'ing" on something that he won't expound on what it is that he is "OD'ing" on himself. And probably doesn't share the exhilarating HIGH with the Father that is paying for it anyway.

Did I analyze this correctly? THOUGHT SO!:biggrin_25523:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  10. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Oops! Did I forget to mention that I'm independently wealthy!:biggrin_25522:

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  11. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Could it be?

[​IMG]

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.