Getting away from coiled trailer supply lines.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cattleman84, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    So the company I work for uses the coiled, hard plastic trailer air supply lines... I hate them. We are allowed to make modification to our truck as long as it can be returned to original easily. So I want to get... Or probably build a set of 1/2 inch rubber air supply lines, then get a non coiled pigtail. This setup would belong to me and would go with me when I get a new truck.

My question now is... How do I ensure that the lines all get pulled back to the tractor so they don't hang up on things, or get pinched? Ideally I would want a PO-GO stick... But there is no place to mount one, the fixed 5th wheel is so far forward that the only cross member is directly beneath the reefer unit. I do have the rail across the back of the sleeper that I can put a spring retracter on, but I'm not sure that a spring retract will have enough stretch.

The trailer glad hands are all on the left front corner of our trailers... Which means (at least by my way of thinking) that if I were to completely jackknife the trailer blindside, I would need at least 12 foot of line to be able to reach all the way across the front of trailer and back to the truck. I can see having about 4 or 5 feet of loose line from the trailer to where the retracter holds the lines... But that still leaves at least 5 feet, that a spring would have to stretch, and then retract...

I know I have seen similar setups before, but I never really paid attention as to how they retract the lines.

I would greatly appreciate any and all ideas, PICTURES of this type of setup, links to items you use, and advise.

Many Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    They sell the rubber air lines in the truck stop or parts supply houses. They also sell the big spring that you hang from grab handle on back of tractor same place. If you want more tension pulling the lines back. But two springs.

4. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yeah... I was looking at these the other day in Walcott.

3-in-1 Air Power Line 12' | Iowa80.com

But I think I can build a set for less... I've built them before, I just need to check a few prices.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  5. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Grab a couple extra crush washers while your at it. I promise they will come In handy.

I have no idea why people run that plastic bs

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I always carry crush washers... In multiple sizes... As well as splice fittings... There's hardly an air line on my truck I cant fix on the side of the road... At least good enough to get me to a truck shop to fix it right.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    There's some 12' on ebay for $99 with free shipping.

8. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Ok... So after spending a few hours scouring my home town for a good one or the materials to build one... One of the shop guys at my company said "we got one of those that's been gathering dust, still in original packaging, in the store room... Been there like 4 years. You can put it on your truck and save your self some $$$"... I was like hell yeah!

An hour later I had it installed and supported with 2 spring retracters, one up high clipped through a hole the mechanic drilled in a metal faring bracket, the other on the slide rail across the back of sleeper.

I then took it out and jack knifed it, to each side, until the farings just touched the trailer and got out to see what the lines were doing... And they work great, and look so much better than the old coiled plastic lines!

The only thing I want to do differently is to get a couple Tec Clamps and heaftier springs to support the lines... I can do that on my next run when I stop at Walcott, IA.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I have no idea why the bs about coiled or rubber. I have used either or, with no problems. They both give out eventually. Use what you prefer. But to say why someone uses one or the other? Why?

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It will be worth it. Especially when winter rolls around and you don't incrue downtime because the hard coiled pvc cracked at a bad time.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I hate the plastic coiled lines. I have had too many issues with them. Especially in winter. They stiffen up and pop off during tight turns, had that happen more than once. Never happens with the straight rubber lines. The coiled lines in my experience put too much pressure on the connections.

Lepton1 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.