Getting CDL through a company then leave

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by visionarygvp, May 22, 2018.

1. visionarygvp

visionarygvp Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been OTR with a drive away transportation company for 3 years now, moving single non-CDL vehicles up to 26,001 all across the US. I am burnt out at this point because I usually work anywhere between 10-11 months straight, right now its going on 4 months since I've been back home (California). The pay is inconsistent and its just not worth it to me anymore.

I have studied for the CDL exam and passed the different variations of practice exam over the past several months, and I'm feeling pretty confident. My delima is that there aren't any local company in Los Angeles that hire and train you, the only companies that will train you for your CDL are the big name companies who want you to commit to working for them at least 1 year and go OTR which is what I no longer desire to do.

I don't have any money to pour into trucking school so, going with a company that will pay for it is my only option. I've heard that when you abandon the company after getting your CDL you get stuck with the fee they charge for training you, I think that would be the least of my worries in that situation because they will get their money.

Are there any other downsides to this? I just want to get my CDL and work locally, be home every night and off on weekends. I don't know if I'm dreaming of a fairytale here, but I'm sure there's a way around committing to another year of OTR.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Getting stuck with the fee? Least of your worries?

You are looking at the potential for say 8000 dollars due and payable immediately. Then collections that will bury you both at home and at your next work. Finally court action to get a judgement against you is possible. Even physically having your employer turn over a part of your weekly pay until it's satisfied. Which is why people informed quit when the employer informs them that there is a judgement order to seize part of their paycheck. We had won several judgements against one particular person who instantly quit when the employer informed her of a percentage of her check going to us.

Your credit will go into the toilet. You will discover you cannot even rent a car in many cases because you cannot get a credit card big enough to do it.

You already said going OTR isnt your ideal work. So why bother with all of this CDL stuff when you are sick of doing local work already. You are either going to be sick of it over here or sick of it over there.

If you have NO money now and are willing to sign lawfully binding legal papers incurring huge debts if you quit, fired or dismissed etc. how are you going to pay then? There is no fairy princess that will show up when that day comes.

The best way to get a CDL is to go to school strictly on your own, after you have say washed enough dishes long enough to have the few thousand dollars saved up to actually go. Ive actually did just that for three months to come up with more than a thousand cash ready for a orientation years ago. That way I will not be borrowing money at all anywhere.

You will find that hourly local work in ready mix or food delivery or even soda or beer work very physical. If you are tired now just driving vehicles around and not lifting many heavy boxes all day I wonder how bad you will be at the end of a 11 hour day and still a delivery another 400 miles to go next day that has you doing unloading yourself.

I hate to be difficult but you are going to have to save that money enough for the tuition, enough for a few weeks until your payroll kicks in and so on. That way its YOUR CDL and you owe nothing to nobody.

Besides, your CDL is just enough to pass the state driving test with a examiner. Wait until you are assigned a load with a trainer who may or may not be good for a few months before you go on your own.

Lab work Thanks this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Once again.....
    Check with your local LTL companies many have started NEW DRIVER TRAINING PROGRAMS.
    ABF , SAIA , YELLOW ect. ect. ect.

visionarygvp Thanks this.
  5. visionarygvp

Mar 21, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I wasn’t saying not pay for the program I said work long enough to save the amount necessary to pay off the remaining amount.

I guess I may have to go ahead and save for tuition, because I don’t want to owe another company just because I don’t want to stay.

I don’t mind some physical labor, however I’m more interested in no touch freight and hopefully hauling fuel tankers.

6. visionarygvp

Mar 21, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you I’ll check it out.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    1 freaking year to have a CDL, 1 year verifiable, and maybe some bank. The doors that will open after 1 year are better than the ones now.

You can’t suck it up for 1 year?

visionarygvp, Rollr4872 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Not nessesarally.

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I agree, one year comes and goes. We are already in May. Eleanor Roosevelt said, "We must do the things we think we cannot do."

10. Sappy4happy

Sappy4happy Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    My vote would be to go to a trucking school. They will teach you how to pass the different DMV tests. A lot of the pre trip & walk around testing isn't necessarily what you say, but how you say it. Trainers will know the DMV testing staff and know what they are looking for during the tests. Additionally, any trainer worth his / her salt will have developed good consistent habits that will help a newbie learn the right way. Not to generalize, but a lot of company drivers don't treat equipment with the most respect and cut corners that foster bad habits. If money is a concern, do some searches for services in your living area. With the labor shortage, a lot of counties offer skills training programs that are done on a sliding scale payment type thing. Do some research and pick a school that has good equipment. Doesn't have to be new, but should be well maintained and equipment that's relevant to current industry. That and make sure their teacher to student ratio is low so you get more behind the wheel time and one on one interaction. Good luck!

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's lots of local work in Los Angeles area for drivers right out of cdl school.
    Check with Khan D' Kulia Trucking School in Los Angeles. That school can probably place you with something local and if not, I have a list of companies that hire new cdl grads for local work around Los Angeles.
    One example is Mountain Valley Express; they have some local but mostly line haul running California, Nevada, Arizona.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    visionarygvp and Paddlewagon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.