Getting Direct Shippers as an Owner Operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dang1983, Jan 17, 2019.

1. dang1983

dang1983 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hello fellow truckers. I have a question or some questions that I’m hoping some of you can help me out with. My father’s been a driver for over 10+ years. He just broke away from the company he was driving for and opened his own trucking company for a little over 2 years now. And for those past 2 years he’s been getting his loads from CH Robinson. Well, lately, loads hasn’t been coming in like they used to anymore. He have 4 tractors and 5 dry vans. He asked me to help him look for direct shippers and I have been searching the webs on how to go about that. So my question is, what is required for my father to be able to ship directly instead of going through CH? Besides the calling the shipper up and asking them for lanes, what I’m trying to ask is, Do he have to get a broker license to ship for these shippers? What about insurance and surety bond?

Any kind of help/insights will be greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Shows how easy it’s been the last two years. Things are ah changing.

No you don’t have to be a broker. You need your own authority which sounds like he has. Instead of working with 1 broker try working with dozens. Frankly, he has severely limited himself these last two years and probably did ok vs killing it.

Getting your own shipper includes finding them, talking to them, agreeing on doing business, sending them your contract which states your terms, and sometimes agreeing to their terms, and getting started.

dang1983 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't need to be rude but with his 12 years involved with this, and he has a fleet, he should know exactly how to get work.

CH robinson work hasn't declined that much, I am getting work out of them.

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I’ll 2nd that notion.

6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    See my profile picture.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.