Getting into Canada

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by luddybuddy, Jul 14, 2018.

1. luddybuddy

luddybuddy Light Load Member

May 11, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Hello I was wondering how hard is it to get into Canada and what credentials I would need. And if its best to do it with as a company driver. Before I buy a truck and lease it on some where?
    And also dui's and Canada do not mix I know that how old dose it have to be to enter mine will be 5 years old in December.

Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks Bigworm

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You’ll need either the passport book or passport card. But your DUI is probably a showstopper.

4. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    They're funny about dui as it's a criminal offence , it never goes out of date. You can apply to Canadian immigration for a criminal rehabilitation permission to enter.

As i understand it its not hard to get as long as enough time has passed to qualify it just costs a little bit and takes a few months to process.

Once you have that it'll take you more time and hassle to get back into USA than to get into Canada.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Your dui doesn't have a time limit, you need to go through the rehabilitation process to get it fixed, so you get to the border, they will run your name and turn you back until you go through your rehabilitation.

6. luddybuddy

luddybuddy Light Load Member

May 11, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Ok but is it an easy process other then the dui. Never have done it was wanted to know if is should do it as a company driver than an Owner operator lease on some where?

7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    It’s easy to cross the border, easier if you have a printer in your truck so you’re not always looking for a fax machine. But you need to find out what can be done with your dui before you worry about crossing as a driver or as an o/o. You’re kind of putting the cart before the horse a little bit.

Lepton1 and dunchues Thank this.
  8. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    It doesn't make any difference at all. If you are eligible for entry, your load is cleared and you have your ACI in hand you are through quickly. If those boxes aren't ticked, you're going nowhere.

It's really easy for you, get criminal rehabilitation sorted out and you are in. Passenger, driver, pilot, no matter your employer or anything else, your through fast. Surprisingly fast.

If you don't sort it, or choose to look for an easier way out or roundabout route or whatever, you will not get past the border.

Honestly, you're better off just checking your eligibility on the Canada immigration site and getting the ball rolling
    There is no other alternative at all. Ok?

Lepton1 and Long FLD Thank this.
  9. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan

What's with all the stupid Capstone crap.

10. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    If your DUI is a felony, forget it. Canada won't let you in. If your DUI is a misdemeanor, forget it for at least 4 more years. 10 years have to have passed since your misdemeanor conviction before they'll let you in. And getting into Canada isn't the tough part after that....Getting BACK IN to the USA is the troublesome part. I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the hassle, and hasn't been worth it since the late 90s, early 2000s.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S. However, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States.

Once you cross the Peace Bridge into Winsdor Customs Tollgate. There they will run you and decide if you proceed. If not? You will be refused entry. And that will create a BIG Mess with dispatch when you consider Winsdor Customs has a truck facility with brokers you must visit once in.

A history of DUI is of itself not a problem provided you hae many years since last one. But under a CDL? tsk tsk tsk. You wont believe how intolerant this Industry has become against persons who use drugs for whatever reason.

Be very very careful about this.

There is either a Fast Pass or a Passport which is best for getting back into the USA.

In my day I would say United States back at the US Border Man in his toll coming out of Canada while the dog sniffs my 5th wheel and more agents open my empty trailer doors for a look see right quick.

That's changed permanently since 9-11

Entering the U.S. and Canada with DUI offenses

12. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    You won't be denied entrance back into the USA if you're a US citizen. But you'll be jumping through some hoops. I've heard of 3 day waits.

Woodys and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  13. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The days of going to the broker offices are pretty much over, at least out here crossing into BC and AB. Most of the time I get my email that everything is confirmed and accepted within 2 hours of loading. Then I stop before I get to the border and print out the manifest in the truck, then wheel up to the border. They scan the barcodes on everything and scan your passport. It takes all of about 5 minutes to cross the border.

homeskillet and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.