Getting into cryo

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Shiba, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Shiba

Shiba Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Received an offer from KAG Merchant Gas to haul cryogenic liquids. Since I haven't seen figures posted anywhere, I'm told the pay starts at $28/hr and tops out around $32/hr after 3 years - however, no overtime pay. 2-3 weeks out, 1 week off. Training lasts up to 6 weeks.

What should I expect jumping into cryo? I have no prior tanker experience let alone cryo as I'm coming into this after a year of flatbed and three months of linehaul. I don't need to have an advanced understanding of thermodynamics or anything, do I?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    why stay out that long. theres jobs that stay out just a week that make that

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. Shiba

Shiba Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Having tried otr, regional, and local work I find 2-3 weeks out works best for me. Not a fan of getting home daily or even just weekends. An ideal schedule would be home weekends with a week off per 4 weeks or so. Only have a year exp, options are limited

The pay isn't the end of the world for me. Heck, I'm leaving a job that I regularly gross $2k at per week and I get home every weekend

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Cold burns can be worse than hot burns.

A lot of CYRO was local, staying out that long is different than my experience of sending an O2 unit to NYC to fill 5 hospitals...

Dennixx and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  6. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    If you're interested in that specialized field and they are willing to train you, and that term is used loosely, then go for it. The required experience level has been reduced by everyone due to the pandemic etc.
    They most likely will be hiring you to fill customer tanks for one of the big gas producers.
    I do notice that the training of some contract drivers that fill at our plant is lacking.

The advantage of cryo experience is that you will go to the top of the hire pile should you then decide to work for one of the producers instead of a contractor.
    At that point you would be home daily w 2 consecutive days off. Unless hired for OTR or team.
    Depending on who you work for and where you drive from you can expect 100K to 135K per year plus benefits.
    With some very strict policies to follow regarding safety and SOP it allows (for me) a good work/life balance.

Rocks, LoneRanger, Shiba and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Shiba

Shiba Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2021
    They say they'll train me on "all" the gases like oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, helium, argon, etc. Being call & demand I'll be hauling anything that's needed. Hope their training is at least half decent

Haven't read the greatest reviews on KAG, but no other carriers are offering both tanker and cryo work with only a year driving experience and I wanted to jump on it since I plan on joining one of the private cryo carriers later on.

And if I end up not liking it, well, I guess I'll get back into LTL and pray for a run that lets me have a life and make decent money

jmajor12 and Dennixx Thank this.
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Well driver the choice is yours. But with so many openings with the top 5 ASU gas producers. I cant see someone going to KAG to get into cryo. With them being a 3rd party carrier. They aren't going to pay you like Air Products are Linde/Praxair will. Just because some of these companies state 2 plus yrs experience. Doesn't mean they won't hire you.

Hell Airgas needs drivers bad. But drivers keep quitting unless its an area where airgas pays more than most other truck driving. But back to KAG, this 3 weeks out deal is basically. Your filling in for areas where the company your pulling for is short drivers. Then once they hire enough drivers. You won't see that area again until someone quits or gets fired. I recommend U.S cryo, LGT or maybe even Genox (i hear they have company drivers now).

I say this because KAG doesn't have a good reputation in cryo. They bought out Jack B. Kelly and CTI. Most JBK drivers were doing well but KAG cut the pay. Try Air Products or Linde/Praxair they are about the same. Except linde/Praxair has driver facing cameras.

And if AP or Praxair isn't hiring try LGT, Genox, U.S. cryo, etc. I would Leave KAG alone!!!

Rocks, Speed_Drums, Shiba and 2 others Thank this.
  9. scott180

scott180 Heavy Load Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Ask them about KAG West out in CA and the class action lawsuit they settled out of court. I got over $12k.

No OT but 99%+ were local and not OTR. But here is where it applies to Cryo.
    When do you take a break? Is the ½ hour mandatory rest break paid? Remember a break means you are NOT responsible for the truck in anyway whatsoever. With loaded hazmat that doesn't happen unless you have a safe haven.
    Now they may resend the offer if you ask about that. But if they do, congratulations you took a step towards working for a good company.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  10. Shiba

Shiba Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2021
    I've been looking at the top 5. Not at all interested in Linde's driver cameras having dealt with them for a year at my first company. AP only hiring for team; AL and Matheson only hiring for packaged gas; Messer, Genox, and US Cryo not in the area. LGT is hiring for propane and nitrogen, but I really wanted to get away from cpm pay and their .55cpm/$22.50/hr isn't particularly appealing anyway

I'm not ignoring all the negativity I've seen surrounding KAG, but honestly I just don't think I have much to lose. At the end of the day, I'm still getting relevant experience and earning $28/hr which is only a $3-4/hr pay cut over what I currently average on cpm pay.

According to the handbook there's a mandatory 30 minute unpaid break to be taken 4-8 hours after going on duty. As far as I understand from 397.5, the safe haven rule only applies to class 1.1-1.3 explosives so I wouldn't have to worry about where I take a break.

I'll certainly ask about it and see what they say though

11. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I worked for KAG it was Pct north east. That company is about it's profits not your safety watch you back .I did fuel had a set of cryo tanker's in the same lot heard ho one guy almost died as he was unloading co gas and something let go flooded the area and he had to climb over a fence to escape suffocating. If you happen to come across a matt crom he's a nice guy to your face and will backstab you he was the manager in my area. Think he moved elsewhere. Easy job just the dangerous of the profession

Rocks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted