getting into hotshot trucking any tips?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by haulin jack, Mar 14, 2013.

1. haulin jack

haulin jack Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2013
    New Castle,Pa
    I am starting my own hot shot trucking company. I want some tips and tricks from you more experienced truckers out there. Here is some info on myself, I am from New Castle, Pa. I am a real small company I haven't even booked my first load on my own. I just got my DOT # and MC # and payed more for insurance then i've spent on most of my cars i've owned. I've been been driving loads for 9 year under another companies authority but now i'm on my own. I have a 1-ton pickup with a pull behind trailer, like I said SMALL company. I am no longer employed and I put what I have into breaking out on my own. So please if anyone can point me in the right direction on my new venture, I would be grateful. I am looking for info like best places and ways to find loads, things to watch out for, general tips for success, things to be prepared for, ext...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You should have looked into all this BEFORE buying equipment and getting authority . You aren't hotshot . Hotshot is time sensitive and high paying .
    Sorry , but everbody I have seen coming into it having to ask others to these questions always failed to make it .

TennTrucker Thanks this.
  4. haulin jack

Mar 14, 2013
    New Castle,Pa
    I get what ur saying RickG. I've done what research I can and I'm a heck of a driver. This is my field of work and I'm tired of work for others and making them money while I settle for scraps. I do have a couple of companies lined up to haul different cargo for them , but them alone ain't goin to cut it. The best way to learn is by doing and getting advice from others like urself that have experience. I'm looking for info like good brokers, and other resources I can take advantage of to help my chances of continually have loads and in turn a successful Bussiness.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The problem is it's a very competitive business . There are too many haulers with not enough freight and rates are low . Successful carriers don't welcome or help newcomers .
    Five years ago it wasn't bad . I moderated a hotshot forum . Then the economy hit the skids and I watched a lot of good experienced O/O's selling their equipment . a lot of them had depended on the construction industry hauling things like rebar and commercial HVAC units . That freight just went away .
    If you were in Texas or Louisiana you'd have a better chance .

6. haulin jack

Mar 14, 2013
    New Castle,Pa
    I am nerves getting into this, of course. But this is how I'm going to support my family. Driving is what I know and what I'm good at. I'm based in Pa and for now plan to stick to a 6-700 mile radius. My hope is to get in with these gas companies that are popping up every where do to the Fracking. I currently have a Big Steel Mill that I've made arrangements with to haul for from time to time. But I'm not sure about how to go about that cause they cant come close to keeping me busy enough but I don't want to be a slave to them like they would like. To make any decent money it seems I need to be able and available 24/7. Which is fine just not sure how that works being a one man operation and having a client list that may need you at a moments notice. If I take Loads off the Boards and am 600 miles away when a regular client calls they probable wont be clients for long.

One Question I have for You and all You more experienced Haulers is: My experience is with a company that worked with a client list and I hauled under there authority for Years. I've never Used the Boards so my question is can I make a decent living just off of pulling loads from the board or do I need to get in with a broker too.

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    You can make a living running off load boards but not in a 600-700 mile range.
    Are those Amish people that want you to move the mill?

8. haulin jack

Mar 14, 2013
    New Castle,Pa
    lol.. no amish...ellwood quility steel..although i hear there is a buck to be made on horse haulin

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    There used to be quite a bit of RV hauling out of PA and MD but I think most if not all of those plants closed . Are there any inground pool dealers or places that sell large fiberglass tanks ?

10. haulin jack

Mar 14, 2013
    New Castle,Pa
    Not that I know of, something to check into though

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What size pull behind and is this with a hitch ball of fifth wheel?

Before you can make money, you have to have some capacity, you can't pull a 'pull behind' trailer with a pickup and make enough to make a living with. To me a pull behind is a ball hitch trailer that has a very limited capacity.

The reason for this is you will be competing for freight with guys/gals who have 40 foot flatbed and they can underbid a load to fill space. It is a tough make a living and if those who I know who do this now had a chance to work for someone under their authority, they would.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.