Getting Loads While Using own Authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BigGreg, Jun 3, 2009.

1. BigGreg

BigGreg Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Fairborn,Ohio
    I'm thinking of going OTR under my own authority,I'm gathering info right now.Can anyone help with load boards and help with billing.Can I hire someone for this,like an existing service or can I do it myself?Any help would be appreciatted.Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    If you are going to pay someone, you may as well just sign on as a motor carrier for a company. It's not a lease-on, you use your own authority and the percentages are higher. Not as good as your own contracts but you'd be up and running right away.

4. BigGreg

Dec 26, 2008
    Fairborn,Ohio
    I heard of persons that charge a one time fee of like $15-25,and find loads for you so you have a load as soon as possible.Some even provide billing.That's cheaper than signing on with a company.More profitable too.Plus,any idea's or links(if that's legal on this board) to load boards?Plus any lessons that experience has taught ya.By the way,I have 13 years DRIVING experience,but only one year CLASS A.So,I'm not going into this completely naive.I've just never used load boards and need info.Thanks.

5. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I think you're thinking of the monthly subscription fee to a board. In which case you're still finding your own loads, you can just see a bunch to choose from.

There's internettruckstop, liveloads, getloaded, 123loadboard.... quite a few more.

You can also go direct to larger companies, Werner, Schneider, Landstar and get loads from them. Again, NOT as a lease-on. Use the motor carrier links on the sites. Take as many or as little loads as you want from any mix of them.

6. LDH26

LDH26 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Did you have trouble getting hired with only class B experience? I was just wondering if that's why you're going 0/0.

7. BigGreg

Dec 26, 2008
    Fairborn,Ohio
    I'm tired of working for someone else.I want paid for the work I do,plus the freedom to work when I want.Plus,the companies I've worked for,well,suck.I want rewarded for my professionalism and ethics.

8. LDH26

LDH26 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    That would be reason enough for me. I'm just a single guy with no kids, no mortgage, and no baggage. I love driving trucks and getting away. I'm buying a used truck for 7 or 10 grand, getting my authority, finding a dedicated broker who provides the trailers, and hitting the road. I figure if i'm paying cash for the truck my only overhead will be insurance (other than mechanical upkeep. I think i'll make it just fine. Listen to Pharm. He's talking the talk and walking the walk, as we speak.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  9. BCTINC

BCTINC Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    The Highway
    If one does not understand basic business 101, then you should not be in business. Invoicing receivables is basic business 101......

10. LDH26

LDH26 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I don't guess I understand what you're trying to say or who you're directing that to.

11. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    One day this guy blows our minds with everything he knows. It's coming.. just not sure when.

Pawnd and WallyGator Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.