getting my feet wet in heavy haul

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by cpape, Nov 3, 2013.

1. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    So we bought a 3 axle trailer. My biggest concern is permitting. Can anyone make me understand license weight versus single trip overweight permits? Our trucks are licensed in Iowa for 80K. Iowa allows us to purchase single trip permits up to 105% of licensed weight. In other words, we can get single trips for up to 84K before we have to raise license weight. Oklahoma is the only other state I can recall that says anything about license weight versus permitted weight. I am assuming this is different when we go from 90K gross to 110K.

We prefer to order all our permits in house, and I would like to see this continue. Honestly, I think most of you HHers have more knowledge than some permit service. I would prefer to do it right the first time instead of having a $10K fine.

Please let me know anything you think will be useful.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Mi. will make you raise your weights prior be fore getting a overweight permit.
    When your plate renewal time comes, take the trk. or trks. that you believe will be pulling that trl. and bump their weight up then.
    I am plated for 134 in Ia. Got a load where I had more on the steer and they made me raise the weight to 135.
    I also got weight for Wy. Mt. and some other states to avoid the extra costs.
    Ok. states you need to be plated for 90k if over that with a weight ld. They do check also.
    Alot will depend on where you will mainly be running.
    If running Tn. alot, buy an annual. 1k. But it will pay for itself in time.

jldilley, Gentlemanfarmer and 281ric Thank this.
  4. passingthru69

what are you axle spacings for the trl. and how long is your inner bridge going to be?
    That can and will come into play for getting your permits also

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  5. passingthru69

Some states over a certain weight you need to order through a service. Md. if over 120 and needing a city permit for Baltimore, I believe has to go through a service, but you permit person can get ahold of the permit company. Do you have Kim's number for the city of Baltimore. She can explain it to you. Plus over 120. then you need a pilot for weight. More costs

jldilley and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  6. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Cpape,

In OK you must be registered for 90k in order to permit for weight. OK required me to provide a copy of my IRP last year when I wrote my permit for 103k.

I just requested a change in my registered weight for IA for 140k as they will only permit upto your registered weight.

I also registered in KS 85560 and NE 94000 which I was told were the max.

Ron

bullhaulerswife and 281ric Thank this.
  7. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    So in your experience, does the state require you to raise license prior to getting the permit? I am concerned that we will not raise license in a given state and they issue the permit. Then we get a big fine.

8. passingthru69

Yes, they will require proof of the plate weight. Like Rontonio stated. they will ask for a copy of the reg.
    Plus Ok. kinda gets testy on axle spacings more than others.
    Check on blanket permits. I believe you have them for Ia. Then also Sd. Nd. Co. Ks. plus Ga. and Fl.
    Depends on your runing area. These permits can save time and money in a years time..
    Plus some you can swap trk to trk. Others you can't

James j Thanks this.
  9. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    OK would not issue me for requested weight until I had the registration change completed and on my cab card from CO. The IA caught me off guard and it took Colorado 2 days to re-issue my cab card - so I had to sit. The change for me was not a significant cost as I don't run that many miles in IA.

I actually I am waiting on CO to transfer my plate from my old truck to my new one right now.

10. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    I register for the maximum available weight in every state.

BigRedNY and flatbed1290 Thank this.
  11. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    As Carl said on OK axle spacings, on the OK website there are drawings showing min axle spacings for various configurations from 5 to 13 axle along with the allowable permit weight max. The state you should study is OH, they use a complicated (at least for me) bridge formula and it would seem your guys would be running through there regularly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.