Getting out of the Army next week!

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by The Tech-1, May 25, 2013.

1. The Tech-1

The Tech-1 Bobtail Member

May 15, 2013
    I've been reading all over this forum for quite a while, I'd like to say first off that you guys rock for sharing so much information about the oilfields.

A little about me, im getting an honorable discharge and I'm going back home as of now. Live in Katy TX, which is west of Houston. I've wanted to get into the oilfields for a long time but had no idea how to do it. I love working outside, I can definitely handle long hours, I love busting my ### and I love my country. I think that getting into the oilfields would be awesome for me and a great chance to make some decent money for once in my life.

I have a clean driving record, no violations, no accidents, no criminal record.

So far I've read that it's probable best to get my cdl if im gonna get into fracing or driving in oil. So Next week (day after I get home) im set up to talk with Lonestar College in Houston to get into their 6 week CDL program. I'll pay cash up front for the program, I'll make sure to get all the endorsements, especially hazmat and tanker.

Class is suppose to start June 5th so Im looking at having my CDL around July 17th.

I want to make sure Im doing everything I need to do in order to get on with either a frac company or maybe a water hauler. I would like to stay closer to home because I own my home but I dont care, I will work anywhere in TX. I dont mind eventually buying an RV either, but I wont have the cash for that in the beginning because I'll be paying for the CDL class.

If any of you guys could help point a new vet in the right direction, any help is appreciated. And I understand if you wanna just send a pm, that's cool too!

Last edited: May 25, 2013
    d o g Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Hey hero welcome to the forum.There's alot of threads of this very subject.Just use the search box on this forum.

d o g Thanks this.
  4. MrMatt

MrMatt Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    out side of soldiers duties.what trade did you get trained for? I might know of a better line of work. it's a traveling job. nontrucking job. plus it's a good way to make the transition back from the milatary. a few of the basic requirements. welding,reading blue prints, reading a tape measure, working with metal, working at heights, able to use power tool/hand tools,willing to learn mill right skills, able to be ontime, willing to work in new contruction sites. the job is full time year round work. they normally have 40 projects going from january to the first of december. then pretty much the whole company is off until the first of the year. they normally work between 40 to 80 hour weeks the starting pay is $15 hr. plus $280 a week perdiem, plus mileage pay, plus when you are traveling between sites, the pay mileage plus hrly plus perdiem. and they are friendly to people getting out of the service.

plus you have to have your own hand tools and steal toe or safety toe boots. you also have to have a dependable car. I believe they have a job starting in san antonio,tx. what they are looking for is people that work hard. and are fast learners. local hire pay starts out at i think $13 an hour. the most I can do is get you in the door. the rest is up to you.

The Tech-1 Thanks this.
  5. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
  6. BrianE

BrianE Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Livingston Texas
    Contact your local DMV in Texas I think recently discharged vets can get a CDL because of military experience (if you drove large trucks in the military).

The Tech-1 Thanks this.
  7. Wapiti6x6

Wapiti6x6 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2013
    Thanks for your service to our country!

The Tech-1 and d o g Thank this.
  8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Thank you for the sacrifices you and your family have made for this great nation, and welcome (back) to the civilian world. An honorable discharge is something to be proud of, IMHO.

You may be able to use some GI Bill money, or some other such program, to pay for your driving school. Check with the office that handles transition programs, you may be able to keep that cash in your bank account.

Since you live in the Houston area, you will have many options available. LOTS of tanker companies and oilfield companies have operations there, and some of the Eagle Ford oilfield operations are moving east. There is lots of existing production from north of Bryan/College Station on down towards Anahuac.

When you hire on with a company, ask if they will sponsor you to get a TWIC. That credential will open a lot of doors for you in the Houston area, as it is required to access areas that fall under MARSEC regulations - generally, any place that has a ship or barge dock.

If you want to spend most of your time driving, look at Schneider. They hire CDL graduates to haul crude oil and frac sand. Since you don't mind doing labor, you may wish to check out the comanies that do "oilfield service" - frac, cementing, flowback, wireline, etc. Companies like Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Baker Hughes, etc.

http://www.schneiderjobs.com/company-drivers/driving-opportunities/oil-field
    http://halliburton-veterans.jobs/
    http://slb.jobs/
    http://www.bakerhughes.com/careers
    http://www.weatherford.com/AboutWeatherford/CompanyInformation/Careers/

And if you don't mind working on an offshore rig, you can make a LOT of money there.
    http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/search_jobs.asp

d o g and The Tech-1 Thank this.
  9. The Tech-1

May 15, 2013
    Well I just tried but I can't send PM's until I have 7 posts, I only have 3 so far. I know I can recieve pm's however because I have already received some. I will pm you as soon as I can.

10. The Tech-1

May 15, 2013
    Yes that's true but I wasn't a driver in the Army.

11. The Tech-1

May 15, 2013
    Well I might not be perfect, but at least Im honest. How does it look?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.