Getting Ready to Hit the Road with Magnum

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ScooterDawg, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Man, what a whirlwind this last few days has been! But it is all winding down now and things are getting ready to slide into place. And I can't tell you how happy I am now that it is almost over.

Magnum, LTD out of Fargo, North Dakota is the company that I finally decided to orientate with. And I am beyond tickled that I did. This company is definately a top-notch company when it comes to getting started in the industry. Now mind you, this is my first gig, and I can not speak for the others that have been driving for years. But I can speak for what opportunities have been laid before me. And I can also tell you that I have been treated like a person, not a number, and EVERYTHING that I was told is exactly like IT IS.

To begin, I started by making a 40 hour bus trip from Raleigh, NC, arriving in Fargo about 5 hours prior to the start of orientation. I got into my hotel room at 3am and was picked up at 745 am. With no sleep (3 hours) on the bus, I was exhausted, but the orientation was so engaging, I had no trouble staying awake. The day started with a drug test, then lectures, paperwork, testing, classes, and at 400 that afternoon, I was in a truck doing my road test. By the end of the first day, I was told I had a job. So none of that "go through 4 days of orientation just to be kicked to the curb".

Today, more lectures, videos, and company familiarization stuff. And every bit of it was presented very well. One thing that I have really liked about the whole program is that it is held in a semi-informal atmosphere and everyone is personable, yet serious about what they do. You couldn't ask for better. The recruiter never once misrepresented ANYTHING, and everything he told me to expect is accurate.

Tomorrow we meet with dispatch, the shop, accounting, fleet management, and then we are ready to go. I am to meet with my trainer on Thursday and then he and I are going to get me "finished". How long? Well that is going to depend on me. Plain and simple.

So, for those of you recent graduates out there, I am here to tell you that Magnum was the perfect fit for me, and if you are looking for a company that treats you like a name, not a number, here they are. Good people, good trucks, good miles.... the rest is up to you. Oh, and if you have a great attitude, it will be a big help. If you have a negative attitude, it won't play in your favor. But then again, that is just about anywhere you go.

My $.02.

Everett, Saddle Tramp, Baack and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    congrats scooter, I think you'll like them. I always liked their rigs when I saw them swing through Rogers, MN. I also liked their drivers, good people.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  4. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Thanks misterG -

Yeah, I think I made a good decision.... and I look forward to the days ahead. If it all goes as well as what has happened so far, I will be one Happy Puppy!

Take care!

5. _ton bundle

_ton bundle Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Elevator Bay, Minnesota
    Good luck and make the most of it. I am actually suprised that they take rookies. They are a cut above the other 'training carriers' out there, for sure. I said this in another post, but if you meet Gavin (who I think is a load coordinator now), listen to what he says. He is a real top notch dispatcher and has been doing it for a while now. Get in his good graces, if you can.

Anyhow, Magnum has an excellent reputation in this neck of the woods. They also have an LTL division that does hub and spoke P&D in the upper midwest.

Don't muck it up or the next blue truck you drive could be for Werner!! Oh, and while you are in Fargo, stay away from the woodchippers!!:biggrin_25525:

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  6. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Thanks man -

Yep, supposed to meet dispatch tomorrow, and I have every intention of keeping ALL of them happy. Nothing worse than a dispatcher who doesn't like you (or so I hear).

Yeah, I definately felt blessed to get in with them and glad to be a part of the team. I have nothing but good feelings and look forward to the future and what it may hold.

Thanks again!

7. SpecialOps

SpecialOps Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Pontiac, MI
    Hey scooterdawg,

Sent you a PM with acouple of questions and when you get a chance in between working and rest give me a reply if you would.

Good luck buddy and stay safe out there.

Jack

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  8. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Just sent it back.... hehehehehe

and Thanks man....

9. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Congratulations and good luck. I've got to say, it's kind of refreshing to hear such a positive story of someone just getting started.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  10. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Thank you Zero. I feel very lucky and blessed with the way things have come together. And there are a lot of people that have helped me get here. "I would like to thank the Academy, my parents, all the people that...." hehehehehhe just kidding.....

But you know what? Anyone can do it... you just gotta keep looking forward and do your homework. I can just hope the future is just as rewarding. But life it what you make it. I am not going to get into this industry any easier than anyone else, and I know that. And I also know that it is not going to make me a millionaire. But I am going to be doing something I have always wanted to do. And now that it appears to be a reality, I am able to say that I have achieved a lifelong goal. Priceless, absolutely priceless.

I have always had the philosophy that if you approach everything in life with a balanced mixture of optimism and pessimism, it will always turn out better than expected and no worse that you thought it could be.

Works for me :?)

11. DriverBill

DriverBill Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Wilmington NC
    Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Is Magnum dry van, reefer or both?

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.