Getting sick from fumes and being forced to drive

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Chris007, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I know the blow by is not fun stuff I have a 14.0 liter Detroit with 900,000 miles on it but that rottela oil is some nasty smelling stuff.
    I know when I used it it made me physically ill and i had to change brands.

Lepton1 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aussie525

Aussie525 Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Y
    Any engine emissions will do that , its way more common than people think .
    You can put a air con drain hose with an sbend in it so it holds water from air con . Stops those fumes going back up into cab from aircon , works like a toilet sbend does to keep the stink out .

This engine issue is the cause of mant accidents , I am super sensitive to it also . You will always be .

magoo68 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This was created about a year ago. Roughly, maybe more than that. Check the dates.

5. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    OP has NOT been on since posting.

6. Trailertote

Trailertote Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2019
    D13 volvo engines are bad about that above 1200 rpms , with open hood design it sucks it up unto fresh air intake and surounds the cab while driving . ( no relief from window down )

7. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Did op get sick?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Yes, iirc.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't believe a truck is suppose to be leaking oil. That you are, in fact, required to check for that during inspection. You are not required to drive a truck that fails inspection. I'll be reasonable in getting the truck somewhere to be repaired, but I'm not driving a truck for a month with a headlight out. A headlight is easier to fix so get it fixed today. An oil leak is much harder so I don't have a problem with getting it back to the terminal. That's this week though, not next year.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I generally believe in fixing a truck when it is not feeling well, before it has a chance to make the human not feel well either or alive at all.

If you find something wrong with truck today, fix it and be done with it. It's a normal part of your being a American Trucker. Fix it. If you keep it up and take care of it, there will be times your Dispatcher or Nature requires battle and your truck and you will get it done. Not sit and make excuses. So the headlight is out. Yay, let's drop a new in there. There is a shop 100 feet away with people trained in doing that. Turn the truck in there and go get some lunch. We are late already. But not too late to roll with broken stuff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.