Give me your shower key..."sir"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lucy in the Sky, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    So just curious the to hear thoughts on this. Stopped at the God forsaken loves in St Joe, MO a few weeks back for a 10. Went in for a shower and I get a number (as per usual with loves). I'm about 4 numbers back so I head to the Arby's for a bite to eat. They call my number in the middle of my meal so I go get my key (loves gets crabby if you don't collect your key 3 seconds after they call number) so I go back to Arby's and spend maybe 5 minutes finishing my salad and then I see the all important "truck stop manager" swiftly walking my way. Talking on her radio like she's ordering an air strike against the veit cong.
    "Do you have a shower key, sir? I need it back. Obviously your not taking a shower"
    "I literally just finished my salad. I'm 2 seconds away from standing up"
    *gets back on her radio*
    "Whiskey tango foxtrot. Driver is enroute to shower. Over"

My question is this-is it really that big of a deal? I get others are waiting to shower but it's not like I'm holding the key for an hour, just a few minutes. Also, what the hell do they expect? I'm not gonna stand by the diesel desk all awkwardly with my thumb up my butt waiting. Plus I'm friggin hungry! Maybe next time I'll get my food to go and eat in the shower like a sweat pants wearing Werner driver lol

On a side note I absolutely detest that loves in St joe. I avoid it at all costs. Not unusual for the line for fuel to be 5+ trucks deep at all times

DTP, 28, Shock Therapy and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    There's a line 5 deep to get fuel, because everybody thinks it's OK to "just be a minute" grabbing something to eat, scanning their paperwork, sitting on the can, or whatever other important-to-them business they have to take care of even when they KNOW trucks are stacked up 5 deep behind them. If 1/2 the pumps are empty? Fine...but if people are waiting, get in & get the f out to keep the lines moving.

Same with the showers. You KNEW there was a line, because you had to wait in it. When they call you, get your key, get your shower, and get the f out so they can clean it for the next guy waiting in line. "A few minutes" to you may have been 10-15 minutes in reality...and seriously, you left your food unsupervised & walked away, then came back and continued eating? Who does that? If I'm alone, my food & drink doesn't leave my sight until I'm done with it. Never know who might decide to add a little seasoning to it while you're gone, and that's a risk I've never been willing to take. People are scum and I generally don't trust them.

Bottom line, no sympathy here. People were waiting, and you were taking your dear sweet time. Get in, and get the f out.

bigtssa, Tiberius51, Eldiablo and 70 others Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Any one who chooses to run a business via walkie talkie and stress out the staff and chase customers is the very last place I want to spend my time, money and stress there.

I supposed its a classic race to the bottom when all the good quiet clean stops are finally dynamited in favor of the Pilot Business model. No place to sit and wait for your precious shower.

In my time a hop into the druid reservior for a few moments gets me good and wet, and it becomes a matter of cleaning up and sanitizing. (Druid Reservior downtown Baltimore, 33rd ave at hartford rd near the St Lo park crossing) a bit of splish splash and back in the truck before the law understood what just happened. Or you ran back and forth across someone's lawn spraying device a few times. Get plenty wet quick.

Erik Blazer, KB3MMX and clausland Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Welcome to loves. They only have 4 showers.

Lepton1 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is it the one off of 29?

Then that's the same place where my driver was accused of stealing coffee after he paid for it then went out the door.

IT was a bunch of crap, they actually called the cops on him, the cops reviewed the security footage and told the manager he paid and she was wrong. She even gave the cops a hassle about seeing the footage.

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I hear ya. That's one (of the many) reasons I've never been a fan of Loves.

Hold on though, I thought getting barked at by women and minimum wage losers was one of the many perks of driving a big truck!

8. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    It was probably the same manager

I tell ya bulldog, I try to be as curtious as possible. But like I said, I'm not gonna stand by the diesel desk for an hour waiting on a shower. How am I suppose to know how long it will be? I've waited 3 hours for a shower at loves before. Yes if loves gives me a number 4 places back I will most always go grab a bite to eat. Pilot, no. Because they bang out those showers with the quickness and get u in soon.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    "Negative. The T-1000 will definitely try to re-acquire you there (in the Arby's)"

10. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    In my time a hop into the druid reservior for a few moments gets me good and wet, and it becomes a matter of cleaning up and sanitizing. (Druid Reservior downtown Baltimore, 33rd ave at hartford rd near the St Lo park crossing) a bit of splish splash and back in the truck before the law understood what just happened.

I hear ya x1, many times in the summer I'd just find a nice quiet spot next to a river...

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's what happens when the only other major independent competitor on the other side of the interstate closes permanently. Where are you going to go? What are you going to do?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.