Give me your thoughts on my idea. Adding a L/P driver.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Alexander suero, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Alexander suero

Alexander suero Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I'm a landstar driver. I'm thinking of buying a truck, giving a driver an opportunity to drive it for me for 40 months, in landstar. Pay the monthly payments + $100 to make up my down and after its paid its his truck. Basically a lease purchase. And the next question is how much do you pay per mile for a lease purchase driver. Let me hear from the leased purchase experience drivers!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Is the guy a personal friend you’re trying to help out?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You mean to say that you are happy with a 100 dollar income per month? On a whole tractor?

Sir, I would tell you before this and warn you that lease purchasing through a different party not directly motivated to do a good job is a bomb waiting to go off.

SteerTire, Just passing by and Puppage Thank this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I wouldn't do it. Too many negatives that can happen and 40 months is a LONG time.

Let the megas rent him a truck.

Puppage, JonJon78 and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    30 months sounds better, but what IF he got burn out or something and 15 months in said hey c ya... there you are with a truck and no driver...

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You should also talk to a good business CPA and contract attorney. Look out for #1 first then if there’s room, do what makes sense to help a driver work towards goals that are good for both of you.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Also. Keep in mind hundreds of OTR trucking companies offer “lease to own” plans but they have a very different model they are working with. They assume a single truck will go through 3-4 different contractor wannabes before it reaches it’s trade cycle. Many pay on a CPM model and in such a way to keep the contractor hungry and afraid of failure. They never pay them enough to be comfortable and secure with anything less than about 11,000 paid miles/month. They want them out earning revenue. Not at home partying 20% of the time spending their earnings from a “good and easy living”. As such they have to find that pay balance that’s enough to survive if nothing goes wrong, but not “too much” to where they’re okay parking the truck regularly.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Manipal92 and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Your question might be better answered by someone who has done what you’re thinking about doing.
    Here’s two stories to think about. I’ll skip some details to keep it short.
    Company A driver gets a dui 1800 miles from home. Owner flies out,bails driver out,goes to get truck out of impound. While paying the bill driver jumps in truck,takes off and lays truck over 30 miles down the road. Truck and trailer are a total loss.
    Company B driver has own truck and is leasing trailer. He is taking cash advances on fuel card to the point that the company has to turn card off. Two months later they have no idea where trailer is.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Also keep in mind the driver has the biggest influence on whether the truck owner makes money or hemorrhages money, especially if they and the truck are not monitored closely for developing problems. Some drivers may or may not care that the truck will some day be theirs. They’ll trash it and abandon it somewhere distant if you ever have some sort of falling out.

blairandgretchen and stillwurkin Thank this.
  11. Alexander suero

Alexander suero Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2018

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.