Giving up on Dezl 770, going with Co-Pilot “Truck”

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by SteveBausch, Aug 25, 2018.

1. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I’ve had the Garmin Dezl 770 unit since Sept 2016, and its performance is best described as an abusive relationship where I kept asking myself “what am I am doing wrong?”

It’s not me, it’s not you, it’s the silly GPS unit. Find another relationship.

I’ve ran a few test runs with Co-Pilot on my iPad 9.7, and the routing is what it should be, not some silly sawtooth route that runs you on backroads where a school bus would have trouble, or a route though small towns and traffic lights.

Retailers are abandoning GPS units; I haven’t asked why, but Fry’s has only refurbished heads only without power adapters, etc. Same story at WalMart. Perhaps folks are buying a new unit in hopes of avoiding an online update, sticking the old head in the box, and returning it to retailer? And everyone has a mobile phone which could run a GPS app.

So I went with the Co-Pilot app model; putting it on an iPad 9.7.

RAM is the leader in vehicle mounts, though I’ve seen many flopping around, or abandoned, with the Quallcom unit lying on the floor. I’ll be going with RAM HOL TAB20U, end cups included, and devising a way to mount on the dash of the International LT I drive. Not sure I’d go with a suction cup mount on the windshield; iPad is bulky and heavier than the Dezl. If you’re slip-seated, perhaps that the only option.

Until the iPad is mounted, I’ll muddle through with the Dezl...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    And the JJ Keller ELD app will go on the iPad also, so having the keyboard at-hand is a consideration.

Co-Pilot allows ranking of road types as to desirability and expected speed limit. I’ll get a screenshot and post it. This ranking of road types may be the Secret Sauce that allows Co-Pilot to generate a route that isn’t silly.

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Wow that sucks. I've had my Dezl since December of 14 and it's been fantastic in general. The most reliable non trucking routing had been Google navigation with street view. Too bad you can't set clearances with Google.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I like my 770 in cross country OTR application. I can’t help but think the OP has some issues about ever leaving interstate roads, even when the route makes sense in a practical and time saved sense. I’ve never had it want to do anything that most would deem stupid.

They have some work to do with their Smartlink application in regards to occasional erroneous traffic issues that don’t exist in reality, especially in remote rural sections. But they’re on the right track with it.

6. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I ditched using my Garmin 2 years so. I drive 100% in New England and it's routing for me was 100% awful. Co-Pilot on my phone had worked out much better.

Garmin for some reason just couldn't get it right. Lots of invisible low clearance bridges, particularly in CT on 95 south. My Garmin also wouldn't route me over the G.W. would always try to send me off into the city instead of taking the G.W upper deck.

Garmin for me was just awful. I tried communicating with them about these routing issues. But nothing was ever fixed. There was an industrial park area built over 10 years ago. Still not on the Garmin route consideration, doesn't even show up on the map. The highway on/off ramp just ends. Many instances of that kind of stuff.

7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Had my Garmin since 2000. I live on new england, so i no about that phantom low bridge in by on 95. Other than that every complaint listed above. Could be fixed by adjusting parameters, and route preferences.

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You set copilot truck to 70k gross weight, then Freeways highly preferred and Higways just preferred, everything else at neutral.
    I had excellent results with that set up. Not absolutely perfect and you still gotta use Google maps and common sense, but still, I like it much better than Garmin

slim6596, Nathanos and Dieselboss Thank this.
  9. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I spent quite a while trying to get that thing to route right. Tried for 3 years with it. Worked just fine whenever I ventured out of new England. I could just never trust it enough inside NE. Too many issues that myself or Garmin couldn't figure out.

With my current job I don't really have need for GPS anyway. I hit the same locations just about every night. Got all the routes memorized. Now I just use Google maps for the traffic updates or Co-Pilot if going somewhere new.

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Btw, Copilot gets completely lost in NYC.

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    First and foremost,... stop blindly trusting and following your GPS's.

They all follow the national databases for height and truck route restrictions,.. often when a bridge is marked 12'9 on the lower part of the arch on the shoulder,. thats all the GPS knows,.. its 12'9. You set the parameters for 13'6. So its doing its job.

Its up to you to break out the road atlas and look up where the low clearance bridges are for the areas you will be traveling. You then put marker points into any of the GPS to force it to take you through the areas it doesnt want to take you. Its really not that complicated.

Try route planning while following the route laid out by permits for OS/OW loads. The GPS is only a tool,.. nothing more nothing less. Learn to use the road atlas and GPS combined. You will have less headaches.

If you have a decent smart phone or tablet,.. break out google maps street view and look at where your going. Look up the questionable points and verify if its a viable option for your truck or not. Dont be the guy who followed his GPS onto a beach.

Hurst

dog-c and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.