Glad I moved over to Poly Trucking

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by chemster, Jun 18, 2012.

1. chemster

chemster Medium Load Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Hey everyone, I thought I would start a thread on Poly Trucking over here on the my favorite trucking company side.

As some of you know, I moved over to Poly from Crete back in March. So far, I am very glad I made the move.
    As an introduction, at Poly, all drivers earn $.48/mile and are paid off of the hub for every mile turned. My miles have been really good so far. My last trip took 11 days and I turned 5431 miles and got paid for 4 stops. The stop pay is $30/stop. Altogether, my gross for the 11 days will be $2726.88.
    Our trucks run 68 mph and there are no idle restrictions. Most of the trucks have some brand of diesel powered APU, except for some of the older ProStars which have a battery powered APU. My truck is a Freightliner Columbia that has 641k miles on it. It ain't the prettiest beast around, but it pulls good. I've had to call road service a couple times to fix an air leak and fix a brake problem but I can say I haven't lost any productive hours due to these issues.
    One of the main reasons I came to Poly is because of their hometime policy. It's is unlike any other trucking company I have seen before. You are allowed up to 7 business days off at a time at the house. Notice I said business days. Saturdays and Sundays do not count as days off. It is possible to get home on a Friday and your first day off won't be until Monday. You could then spend the next 5 business days and the next weekend at home and still have the following Monday and Tuesday off. The only stipulation on this is that you average 2000 miles per week during the month. I have only had trouble getting home this last weekend. I didn't tell the outbound dispatcher soon enough that I wished to be home so I got stuck on a load going the wrong direction. They called today and I will be picking up a load in the morning going through the house that doesn't have a delivery appointment, so I can swing it by the house and take about 4 or 5 days off and then deliver the load.
    I am still trying to learn the system here and I make mistakes, but so far, most of the people here try to help.
    I will try to document here to the best of my abilities, my experience at Poly. If any other Poly drivers want to join in, feel free.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I looked at Poly but my wife runs with me and last I heard Poly does not allow passengers.

But I am happy to hear it is working out for you, congrats on sucessfully escaping Tonn and Crete!!!

CancelAAA Thanks this.
  4. chemster

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks Bumper. BTW, you are correct in that Poly has a no passenger policy. There is also a strict to pet policy.

mpb071 Thanks this.
  5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    What is their hiring area?

6. bigdipper

bigdipper Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    FLORIDA
    That's a "NO" pet policy, correct?

CancelAAA Thanks this.
  7. chemster

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    NO pets allowed. Thanks Bigdipper, my chubby fingers mistype quite often on this phone.

8. chemster

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Picked up a load this morning at our plant in Cottage Grove MN and am taking it through the house for 5 days of hometime. The load delivers 3 stops down in Georgia. I will leave Monday morning and deliver them and hope to pick up a backhaul on Wednesday.

9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Do they hire out of SC?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  10. chemster

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, we hire out of SC.

11. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Almost 3700 miles last week. Went to Uxbridge,MA with a backhaul out of Scotia,NY going back to Grand Prairie. Left this afternoon doing same outbound run to Uxbridge. Don't know what backhaul is yet, but this should be another great mileage week.

48 I'll add that Poly is supposed to be building another facility in SC. Not sure of any other details.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.