Glider kit vs New truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 01blackz28, Jun 19, 2012.

1. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I would be glad to hear crappy epa shut down, allowing any truck/any engine to drive to California.

Container Hauler and razor1983 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Sorry about resurrecting an old thread but really wondering how the new glider is doing and what kind of MPG's your seeing??

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Doing great. Real nice comfortable ride. With what I did for mods, it is a real puller also. So far, the mpgs have averaged 7.6 since I got it. Last one was 8.3 and when I fuel tomorrow, based on how much fuel I have used, that fueling should come in pretty close to the last one. The lowest was 6.7 mpg with a gross load of bulk lead that I had a good portion of the run on hilly two lanes and all the various slow downs that happen when you run that type of route. Those are calculated mpgs, not off the display. But the display is pretty close.

5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Thanks!! Glad to hear its going well!

6. fishhook

fishhook Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2008
    OH
    I run local(tank) getting consistantly 7.5+. Really happy with it...although, now Im really wondering what it would be like with dead tag/lifts on both truck & trailer....

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I would think dead tag on tractor would make a difference in a couple of ways... not turning gears you are not using, and less weight. When tank is empty, lifting an axle on both tractor and trailer should make a difference. Whether it is worth the cost, you have to determine that one. Depends on how much you could actually do it. Me, I would just go for a tag on the tractor and not worry about being able to lift it. That has enough benefits to justify the mod.

double yellow Thanks this.
  8. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I would not hesitate on a new glider if i had the money. Do your research and get the best engine you can with regard to what will be grandfathered in with pre EGR and DEF. All the BS with California will never go to all 50 states like everyone fears. they can get away with it because they are not a pass through state. Freight either originates or is destined for there. If any state in the middle of the U.S. tried that crap, if would never fly. Its just a matter of time before the whole issue goes before the supreme court or congress. California pulled their liberal politics with weapons years ago and started charging people who had to travel through the state with specific firearms that were legal in their home state and legal where they were going. In the end, the issue was before congress and it was ruled that California as a member of the union could not infringe on the right of another citizens rights just because of their physical location.

9. lonelyswmtrucker

lonelyswmtrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2011
    down the bayou
    were u able to buy ur older detroit engine & transmission from the dealer u bought the truck from, or did u have to buy it from somewhere else?

10. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I got my engine and tranny rebuilt from the manufacturer. I just ordered a rebuilt crate engine from Detroit Diesel and a rebuilt 18 from Eaton. Got full warranties on both. I did have the dealer place the order for them so I could take advantage of pricing leverage they had.

11. lonelyswmtrucker

lonelyswmtrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2011
    down the bayou
    ok that's great, am glad for u; did u have to pay for it up front or was it included with truck in the financing?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.