glider truck on elog

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 4noReason, May 31, 2020.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    A glider is designated in the VIN. I’m not sure how Freightliner does it but a Paccar product has GL in the VIN.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I have a paccar and my vin doesn't have GL in the vin. However the last 6 of my vin are on a plate next to the door with a GL at the end. However, any other place its marked on the truck does not have the GL after it, including the title and registration.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I don’t know then. The 2017 KW I drove had it on the registration and anyplace the VIN was stamped on the truck.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yeah I wish mine was like that.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I seem to recall there'd be a "G" in the VIN for whichever components the truck wasn't ordered with for one of the manufacturers?

Most folks think a glider is just a new truck without an engine. Those are "rolling gliders". They can be ordered without diffs, suspension or transmission too. Original intent of the glider was as a replacement part, not an EPA loophole.

Brand new truck gets written off? Order a glider and swap the barely used powertrain over. Or if the truck is in a low mileage, severe service application the glider could be used to replace the worn out cab and frame for less than a complete replacement truck.

8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    A friend of mine has a truck registered in Pennsylvania His registration states glider. He bought the truck new, with no engine or transmission. He built an engine, and put in a remanufactured transmission

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

Well which one is it.? Conflicting info..

One says no, 2000 or newer engine requires eld..

Guidance says go by chassis year if pre2000 build date..

10. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    It's awkward to read because the author needs to justify their fancy education.

First paragraph says:

"If the model year is pre-2000 based on the VIN, an ELD is not required."

Nice and simple, you don't need an ELD if the truck is registered MY99 or older.

"However, there may be instances when the model year reflected on the vehicle registration is not the same as the engine model year"

Based on this - the first paragraph must be specific to gliders that have matching chassis/engine years. Extra clarification is needed for when the years do NOT match:

"Vehicles with engines predating model year 2000 are also accepted and are not required to have an ELD, even if the VIN number reported on the registration indicates that the CMV is a later model year."

This extra clarification lets you know that even if your truck is registered newer than MY1999 as per the VIN,if its engine predates 2000 then it is ELD exempt.

And that is the end of the clarification with nothing exempting a glider with an engine that is newer than 2000.

If the chassis/engine is 1999/1999 the truck does not require an ELD.
    If the chassis/engine is 1999/1996 the truck does not require an ELD.
    If the chassis/engine is 1996/1999 the truck does not require an ELD.
    If the chassis/engine is 1999/2001 the truck DOES require an ELD.
    If the chassis/engine is 2001/1999 the truck does not require an ELD.
    If the chassis/engine is 2001/2001 the truck DOES require an ELD.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  11. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Thank you sir! I was always under the impression engine year of 1999 & older constituents eld exempt status, regardless of chassis year. Period. Why make it confusing? Really all they needed to say..

Only after reading the "Guidance" did I get confused.. LoL

I was getting hung up on the 1st part saying "If chassis model year is Pre 2000, ELD is not required."

Now I fully understand it's the ecm of the engine that will report the correct data to use an ELD, not the chassis. But with this being a Gov't run deal, I was thinking they may have screwed the pooch. LoL I digress. Understood now.

Maybe my brain only wanted to see it from this side, as I'm a fan of pre EGR 14L Detroit's, but there are very few to be had with 1999 S/N #'s. Was hoping I could squeak by with a 2000 or 2001 engine in my '93 titled shaker.. :rolleyes:

CousinVinny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs