GMRS Truckers/Highway Channel

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by russbrill, Apr 24, 2020.

1. russbrill

russbrill Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2017
    When using a GMRS radio in your truck it is recommended that you Monitor Channel 7 without Privacy Codes. Channel 7 is a 5 Watt channel, so always use the best antenna you can install on your truck.

---------- Note: You can use 19 as the High Power alternate to 7, but you must share channels 15 to 22 with Repeater Stations.--------------

Here's an example of a nice Collinear that does NOT require a ground https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo450chw-833 … Remember, you will need a mount that accepts antennas with an NMO connector. Consult with the antenna vendor about your installation requirements.

This antenna will work good on Metal Mirror Brackets Midland MXTA26 6db Gain Antenna .. Again, it has an NMO connector at the base of the antenna..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. russbrill

Nov 10, 2017
    Any more suggestions about a band plan???

4. russbrill

Nov 10, 2017
    The Drivers that are Licensed Hams should be monitoring the following 2 meter frequencies: 146.520 MHz (Simplex, National Calling Freq.), 146.535 MHz, and 146.550 MHz..

5. russbrill

Nov 10, 2017
    Almost forgot, you guys with Dual-Banders.. UHF National calling channel is 446.000 MHz...

6. russbrill

Nov 10, 2017
    rabbiporkchop said:
    It's only a problem for folks incapable of or unwilling to do their own antenna work. Those who are capable don't really have difficulties. Last I checked, 74 miles mobile to mobile in a Freightliner Cascadia @27mhz is fairly effective.
    Rest in peace Tom.....

Everyone running Amateur Gear in your Truck, throw it all away and hookup with rabbiporkchop's CB Tech... The Super Tech can get you 74 miles of range without repeaters or skip... Wow, I never knew it was possible.. :)

7. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I wouldn't throw the amateur radio gear away just yet. You are falling for the same thing that I did, forgetting that they aren't using 4 watt CB radios. They are using high powered 10 meter export radios and he had to go to single sideband which I believe his radio puts out around 60 watts. A big advantage over a 4 watt radio. of course, it is still pretty impressive distance on 27 MHZ from an SUV up on a mountain (I believe) to a Freightliner truck.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  8. russbrill

Nov 10, 2017
    Hey Night Stalker,

I was being sarcastic, and yes I know about all the export equipment being used. I know great distance is possible under the right conditions, in 1980 around October I worked a Driver sitting at the Rest Stop on Donner Summit, I was in Sacramento on my base using 4 watts AM, but that didn't happen every day!!!

Russ

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Oh, okay very good. I assumed you knew that, but when I first joined the forum and saw the big miles posted, I had a hard time buying it. But then it dawned on me, that these guys aren't using real CB radios. But silly me since this is a CB forum, I didn't put it together at first that they were accomplishing these great distances with a more powerful export radio. Yes, I agree that when the band conditions are just right, it makes it a lot more enjoyable. Anyway it's all good. 73.

10. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Export radios are a joke....I get 30+ miles in my mobile with my 4w President McKinley daily....Irving to Balch Springs and Mesquite every single day... Some stations across town are base's yes...some are mobiles too...and yes I run a little 2-pill, but nothing fancy...

That's in the City...Now get out in the country away from everything, and lot's of flat land, and doubling that distance would not be unheard of for a mobile..

Base to Base....200 miles is about my limit, just depends on what the other stations running...antennas are everything

11. russbrill

Nov 10, 2017
    The McKinley looks like a nice radio, and you can SCAN the band with it, not just sit on one channel...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.