Go through second to get to First transmission

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I hope it's okay to post here. I did try in the mechanical section but I did not get a response.

Years ago I drove a tri-axle dump truck that had a very odd transmission. I believe it was a Fuller transmission and I believe they called it a 7-speed and it had a deep reduction switch for it that you could shift through all the gears in deep reduction.

Second gear was to the left and up and if you wanted to go into first you actually had to go through second to get to first.

So second gear was to the left and up and then you went kind of a little more to the left sort of on an angle and there was a neutral again and you went into first. So you had to go through second to get to First.

Just wondering if anyone heard of such a thing or ran a truck with it or if anyone knew the model of it. I'm just curious because I never saw one like that before and I never saw one like that ever again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    a company I drove for in the late 70's had one truck with that trans pulling a fuel tank on a lot of back roads and had a high torque low rpm 270 hp cummins that could out pull most 335s

I drove it once when the regular guy was out and I hated it
    I was a 2 stick man.

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    The one that I drove was a one stick transmission but it did have a 270 or 290 Cummins

5. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Reminds me of a 379 I used to drive with a 15 double under. Was trashed out, but a cool truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.