Going back company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by northeastrider, Feb 18, 2019.

1. northeastrider

northeastrider Bobtail Member

May 12, 2018
    After 12 years company driver I took the leap and brought a tractor things ain’t working out from break down to lease getting cancel I think I had enough my bills are getting behind and I aint willing to lose my home for it already damaging my credit missing card payments and late mortgage i love it in the independence but the dollars aren’t adding up for me

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    Lease on with a % carrier like Mercer.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Which is why I will never go O/O. I don't have the knowledge, experience, or business sense to even think about it. Nor do I want to deal with the "business" side of things. Been there, done that, in another life...

I guess good luck is in order.

5. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    It's pretty simple to make it as an O/O. Work hard, be frugal and keep your Running mile over $2.

kenn2632, PE_T, 86scotty and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It's pretty simple. Just win, obviously. Just like when you play craps. You just have to win.

PE_T, Rideandrepair, 86scotty and 2 others Thank this.
  7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Just wrong company that’s all. Lease on to the right company.
    Give the Russians a try. If you don’t make ends meet running with the Russians/Ukraine/ Europeans. You should change over to something other than driving.

ChromeNut Thanks this.
  8. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I had good luck with lease in 2003-2009 but everything has changed. When I tried it again 2017-2018 it was a nightmare as you described.

I'm back company driver and happy every day I did it. It takes some adjustment..they boss you around..but it is so worth it to get that steady check and not care what fuel or repairs cost.

northeastrider Thanks this.
  9. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    So who did you lease on with? What truck did you end up buying? I hate seeing these types of post but I know it's the normal cycle of being an O/O. Makes me appreciate what I have but also work harder to make sure I maintain what I do.have.

PE_T and Tug Toy Thank this.
  10. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    You are absolutely correct! Your honesty is appreciated .
    The path is clear . How bad you want to be independent? It takes a lot of sacrifice , but in my case , my independence is priceless and if I go down, I am the only me to be blamed for it .
    This is not for everyone , the only issue I have is that some people are confused.

PE_T, Badmon and northeastrider Thank this.
  11. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    I have been an owner operator for 8 years and would not go back to working for a company. Not all truckers are cut out for the owner operator life as it takes hard work and discipline. You don't have to be super smart, but you do have to know how much it cost to operate your truck on a daily basis, knowing the freight lanes for they type of freight you haul and keeping your truck in good repair. Do the basics, stick to a schedule, keep the left door closed.

I have been a true independent with my own authority but gave it up to lease onto a company which has worked out much better. Those with good negotiating skills or a wife/husband that can make phone calls to book loads make great independent truckers.

With that being said, northeastrider is making an intelligent decision, gave it a good try and is doing what will be in his best interest. Nothing to be ashamed of and all the best to this driver.

PE_T, Long FLD, northeastrider and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.