Going back to Nettts to get my Class A

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by greentrucker, Mar 22, 2008.

1. greentrucker

greentrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    After finding out that the companies i was interested in don't really offer company sponsored training, ive decide to make the move and go back to Nettts and get my A licence. Kinda sucks though I have to choice one i can afford (well kinda) and one I can't unless i get grants. My first option is to take the advanced course ment for drivers who have let their licenses lapse, itll teach me all the menuvers but pretty much cuts out all the classroom and its only 140hrs of training, which from what ive been finding out most companys are looking for more than that. My second option is to take the full course classroom and menuvers, this option is the one i probably should be going with but im still not sure. The course is longer than i thought, ct upped their training requirements so it makes the newbie course 20 weeks. Nettts doesn't offer full time so its either 6 weeks at 3695 or 20 weeks at 7???. The longer course does allow me to apply for grants though which i stand a chance of getting because i really don't make much.

man decision decisions, whats do your opinions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    Blue Ridge Community College has a tractor trailer school in Verona Virginia, $500.00 for five weeks. Do you know anyone in Virginia who would let you use their address for the time it takes to get your CDL and transfer it to another state?

4. OpenEye

OpenEye Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2008
    CT
    I'm real interested in how you do with NETTS. Are you going to go in CT or RI? Keep us posted. Personally the cost there scares me, $7k for a CDL is insane.

A cheaper alternative (to fulltime) would be something like Crowder College in Missouri, which has a good rep. (I hear) and is $3000 & $476 for the dorm room, if you want one. Four (fulltime) weeks vs. 20, also.

5. Larzdog

Larzdog Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Barre, MA
    I was accepted to the program but didn't want to start off in debt once I graduated. $7k is a BIG investment that takes food off the table at home.:biggrin_2553: I was able to get $1400 worth of grants which only brought my cost of the school down minimally. I think they really powdercoat everything there just to get you in and get your money. I'm not speaking from first hand experience though. I never went back after my financial aid meeting because they couldn't answer my questions and kept giving me the run around. All they wanted to know was how much I could pay them every week.:biggrin_25512: And they didn't want to give me a tour of the place or show me around at all to get me familiar with the site. I guess I was inconviencing them wanting to know where to go my first day.:biggrin_25523:The only good thing about the loan is that you don't have to start paying it back until after 6 months of your graduation date at a small interest rate. Still wasn't enough for me to want to do the program there. I would also have to work full time for 20 weeks while trying to do the school and drive 1.5 hours each way to get there.:biggrin_2552: I decided that I would go to a company's training instead.

Saw a lot of swift, c.r. england posters with personal phone numbers written on them, which told me that those recruiters are going in there and grabbing the new grads. Not companys I'd want to go with:biggrin_25513:, but to each their own.

If you do decide to go, best of luck to you. I hope it all works out for ya, but wanted to tell you what I decided after meeting with them. Best of luck with gettin' your CDL!

6. BigDaddyJollyRob

BigDaddyJollyRob <strong>"El Oso"</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    If going to NETTS take the short program. Its 160 hrs and thats what employers want to see plus you can get on with a lot of the training companies. If you have the money going to CROWDER IN MISSOURI would be excellent and while your there apply to conway/cfi(or before you goto school). I was going to goto them but because I went through the Teamsters Driving School(instead of NETTS) they called me back and canceled my orientation date because Teamsters use 28ft trailers. The Training was good and we pass more then the NETTS guys but having a tough time getting on with a decent otr company sucks. Best of Luck keep us posted.
    Ps. If you get laid off or aren't working full time check with DLT(networkct) about their grant program. Thats the one I went through when I got Laid off this winter. You do some research, take there assessment test and get approved. They help pay for a portion or all of the tuition. NETTS will tell you to take the long course but all you need is the 160 hrs. Focus hard on your Air breaks procedure and maneuvers. School gets monotonous but those that keep
    working hard pass the first time. Those who start to slack and take time off DONT. Work Hard Best Of Luck.

7. greentrucker

Oct 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    I'll be going back to the one in somers, ct. ya the cost is pretty insane, i think its gone up since i took my class b. I'll have to look into crowder, never heard of them before. I should be going up for a finacial aid meeting tomorrow or the next, depending on how much in grants i can get will probly determine which course I take, although im still deffinetly leaning towards the 6 week course and then go to a company for additional training on logs and hours of service.

Bigdaddy the nettts advanced course is only 144hrs will that cause me a problem when applying with companys?

8. Larzdog

Larzdog Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Barre, MA
    Green, I was reading and replying to some of JasonTruckers post about his training in PA. As I went back in to the thread I saw a few were from you as well. I'm curious why you changed your mind on going with Schneider's training and are going to NETTTS instead? I want to go with Schni for my training in my CDL, but you decided against it for your own training. I'm curious if you knew something about it that I don't? From the looks of things you went to a job fair where they were there. Did they say something to you about not getting training with them? I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance!

By the by-
    I do know a guy in the training at NETTTS and he's liking it there. I just personally don't have the time to drive, or $$ to be able to make it through their training, which is why I didn't end up going.

9. BigDaddyJollyRob

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    No, ask nettts if you get the certificate for the advance course. If they say yes then you'll be ok. Also, have them started getting you prehired with companies before you graduate. If you graduate from nettts you can apply to superior carriers out of springfield,Ma(tanker outfit,great pay). Keep us posted.

10. greentrucker

Oct 12, 2007
    Connecticut

if i had my choice i probably would have gone to sni training, after going to the career fair and talking with their recruiter i found out they no longer take unexperienced students from ct mostly because ct dmv and laws are to strick. Im not sure if they take students from ma either the recruiter i talked to dealed primarily with ny and pa.

Bigdaddy im pretty sure ill get a certificate, i got one for class b...

11. BigDaddyJollyRob

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    Best of luck also look into Sage schools I dont know where the closes one is but the are ptdi certified and 1 on 1 drive time i'm told.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.