Going from a aero truck to a hood

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by shorty102292, Jan 23, 2020.

1. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    I always liked the way TMC used to hide their spot mirrors behind the bug deflector. @shorty102292 good luck with your new ride, I'm sure it'll become second nature over time. I've sat behind a few long hoods and they can be a little intimidating at first but eventually you don't even notice them. Your experience with oversize is a plus as you already know how to "calculate" the boundaries of your truck. As for "only seeing stack" in your mirrors, bobtailing doesn't really count because there's not much else back there to focus on...I'm guessing when you get hooked to a wagon, you'll be able to adjust the mirrors to see something back there...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The pipes are a problem. I like my pipes stuffed behind the side shields over the catwalk. That way the mirror sees straight down.

With that freighter, I probably will be halfway out of that driver door craning around past those pipes while backing.

I am not particular with the exception of weed burners, Ive been choked by those early in my youth waiting for the #### thing to warm up in the cold. That would be quite enough of that.

In cabovers I take cars out. But in that nose? it's perfect. More or less.

4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Move your mirror pivots forward so they are straight out from the cab and then retilt yoir mirrors. The stacks are out a bit too far.

When youre in tight quarters air your seat way up so you can see some of the front fenders better. The hood glare will suck. Have double sunglasses for emergency. First pair regular size and over pair gaga sized. It can be like staring at the sun on occasion.

shorty102292 Thanks this.
  5. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    If the glare from the hood is bad I recommend blacking the top of the hood with a flat or matte finish, or even a non reflective white.
    I drove a few with the black top hoods and they were easier on the eyes day and night, snowstorms too..
    It wouldn't look bad on that truck or take away from it, kinda like this.
    [​IMG]

(Steve's pics, facebook, lots of cool trucks)
    Security Check Required

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. shorty102292

shorty102292 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Well i went for thie first spin last night with a 53' step deck. I adjusted my mirror brackets like some suggested thank you its worlds different i can see alot better. Now for the funny part, find backing this up EASIER. It comes around alot slower. I've just been going around corners like im long and 15 wide lol.
    The best feature of the new truck isn't anything fancy, but the darn seat actually reclines. I put it back just a smidge that was the only rhing i hated about my lt. It has also taught me a lesson as i like to say made a left into a gate off street at case dealer picking up this tractor and found the the right edge of the road isnt quite far enough gotta give even more room to turn. I just backed up ate some humble pie and swung wider. Key thing is, i didn't hit anything

FoolsErrand, D.Tibbitt and Long FLD Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You’d be surprised what kind of use hood mirrors get by those like myself who work for a living and have to shoehorn 48 footers into places 48 footers weren’t designed to go.

There’s been times when I pulled a shorter trailer I’ve delivered to internet shoppers with gravel driveways that required backing in, missing the mailbox across the street by inches, which would be an impossible manuever even for my nearly 20 years experience without those “rookie sticks”, but thank you for deriding everyone that makes use of them. :rolleyes:

alds, Super_Trucker, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Hell i have hood mirrors and a aero hood pete 386 and some car was sitting on my right front tire at 0130 couple days ago onthe interstate . Dont know how i didnt clip them as i was changing lanes. I got an adrenaline rush as i changed lanes and 5 seconds later see a car pulling out from in front of me ."what the ####?! Where did that ####in guy come from?" I thought i was seeing #### being so early in morning , i had to come within inches of their bumper. Now let me say i was watching my mirrors and taking note of cars in my mirror like always and i saw this car coming on right lane then couldve swore i saw him hit the exit and so i decided to change lanes but nope he was right there somehow on my tire by this point. So i wasnt paying attention and my seat is on the ground and didnt check my blindspot. Got lucky on that one , dang california

10. shorty102292

shorty102292 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    So not to get to far off topic..... I found out I have door(s) on my sleeper. I knew about them in a way but figured they ONLY opened up from the inside....... Well about thirty minuets ago some wh¤re opened my door on the pass side. Thank the lord i was awake. I now know to lock the small door below the window. There was another driver that watched her do it he ran over while she had the box open. After she scattered and I was like WTF. He laughed i laughed welcome to ####ing saginaw.

Tug Toy and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  11. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Once you get your parameters memorized youll be able to spot that "not enough right hand lane to make it in that left side gate" situations before attempting. When youve got to squeeze her in where she shouldnt go, drive the truck completely straight and go past the entrance until your 5th wheel is lined up center or a little past center of the entrance road. Now cut the wheel full right and reverse, swinging the tractor nose to just clear the fence, pole, curb whatever. Its okay if that takes 3 pullups to jackknife into the gate. Doing this gives you the maximum clearance on your left side rub rail to get into the entrance. If youre pulling a spread, get a dump valve on the rear axle. That will also shorten your trail length by 5 foot. Sliding up your 5th wheel to the max it can clear during jackknife in addition to these other tricks will get a longhood into just about any place a setback anteater can go.

With backing tight or turning around in confined quarters you are at a disadvantage to the anteaters since you cant see the fenders, and the truck wont come around as fast. Your setup as you are preparing a reverse is much more important on a hood. I see guys who obviously arent good at setup making it into jackknife parking spots from terrible positions successfully with sissy tractors and closed tandem vans that a hood pulling a spread couldnt ever dream of. With your hood truck, the going forward portion is probably more important than the reversing. putting angles on your trailer while rolling forward in order to aim at the target and divide the 90 alley dock into smaller portions with very well planned pullups is critical. You just wont have the extra space available in small spots that you used to. A longhood uses up ground very quickly compared to these new car trucks.

shorty102292 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.