Going Independent In 2020 .Need Broker Info .

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Whiteline64, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It would probably be best to find someone there that's got a head on their shoulders, a personality outside of what the computer screen says, and is good to work with. The problem with diving head long right out the gates into a managed carrier, core carrier or key carrier scenario with CHR is they're going to assign you some random rep that you have to deal with. And most of them just dont have a clue and aren't any good at their job so this is going to torpedo everything. Take the time to find someone there worth working with and booking loads through then talk with them about become your assigned rep.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Some of them at CH, Coyote, XPO, JB Hunt ... mega brokers will even offer their direct lines with extensions. They seem to have access to all the posted loads and ability to cover them regardless of a local office that is assigned to them. It does not guarantee much but at least better communication and faster connect.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I have one at Schneider like that. I agree if you can find that person it’s beneficial to build the relationship.

Whiteline64 and rollin coal Thank this.
  5. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    The problem I see is that good ones usually get promotions and don't deal anymore with carriers directly...

86scotty, Whiteline64 and rollin coal Thank this.
  6. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I've tried working with a couple of brokers. Nothing good ever really comes from it.

Hey B! I got this load you can pick up after you deliver this one, its 200 miles paying $450! Want me to send it over???

How do you even respond to that?

They're clueless most of the time just like rollin coal said.
    I rarely ever pull back to back loads for the same broker. Sometimes it works out though. Once in a while.

7. bacoman

bacoman Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2017
    This^^^^^.....and once you find the diamond in the rough be wise enough to keep it and controlled enough to not lose it when something doesn't go right. There are good reps at all of the larger brokerages, your job is to find that person.

rollin coal and Whiteline64 Thank this.
  8. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Starting up in an election year is going to be a bit challenging, just get a good load board subscription and start calling on loads. Nothing magical about it. The harder part will be getting affordable insurance.

9. brianv31

brianv31 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    IL I-74 mile 149
    This line of thinking is baffling to me. Why limit yourself? Have a carrier packet ready to go, a good relationship with your insurance agent and embrace the process of getting set up as a new carrier.

Brokered freight isn't 1/4 of what we do, and I have close to 80 brokers we're set up with. Some are a one time deal, some have become more frequent. Freight brokers are somewhat of a commodity to me. If the freight, lane and rate works, let's do it. I don't really care what the name on the rate con is. If we have a bad experience, make a note about it and go on. It's trucking.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I agree. Often times I will get on these kicks where I book 10 or 12 loads in a row from the same brokerage in a difficult market. I'm getting what I need but then I also check other sources on similar lanes. They will take advantage of you and start lowballing you big time if they think you aren't looking anywhere else. You always need plenty of options out here it's the only half assed way to keep some of them honest. But if you only look to them you have no idea others are having to pay $700 more, or whatever amount, to move similar or even the same loads.

Whiteline64 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.