Going Into Hotshot "truck and gooseneck"

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Jimbo1183, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jimbo1183

Jimbo1183 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    First off i would like to thank anyone who reads and has some positive helpful info and answers some questions i have. I think some have a attitude of great more new drivers less loads to cover like we are fighting over a women at a bar. I see a lot of new drivers asking about otr or over the road driving as in 18 wheeler ect. I Don't know how many hot shot guys are on here. So ive been reading up for weeks trying to process on my own the steps i should take to get on with someone. "lease" I have a year or so driving a dump truck and have a class a cdl. exempt which i will need to go get a physical and have it changed over. I volunteer for a fire department and drive large engines.

Truck Is payed for, however i just spent 4k on it with rebuilt trans, clutch, master and slave cylinder.

1. What are the steps in order to lease on? Be specific from having a truck and trailer to tags proper insurance ect.

2. Do you need a special type of insurance for apportioned plates other then liability ?

3. Is getting plates for 44,000 not a good idea? I have a 2000 f550 and was going to order a 40 foot 24k gvrw trailer.

4. What will you average lease on carrier ask of you other then have safety equipment?

5. Do i just need my truck and trailer and have the carrier get me lined out tags wise?

6. Air ride goose neck ? not worth the money spent?

7. Shocker goose neck hitch thoughts?

6. Thinking about leasing to cheetah transport (close to home and an idea) Haven't even touched base with them as i was to gather more info, time and money before i hit it hard. Anyone have thoughts with this company?

7. According to DAT February is a bad month for hotshot and I am thinking about starting out in march.

8. 10 ply tires on a trailer just a no no?

9. Curious if f150 seats will bolt in a f550?

10. Is 16k load about most a hotshot would haul?

11. 40 foot straight trailer or 35 with 5 dove tail where the ramps can fold up flat? Do certain places frown upon a load being over the dovetail?

12. 1500 a week take home feasible?

Thanks for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    I think gvrw for a 550 is 17000 so with a 24000 trailer u would be covered with 44000

Jimbo1183 Thanks this.
  4. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I can answer your seat question.

Match up the year range and your bolt right in uunless you get fancy seats. hell, you could put mustang bucket seats iin there if you get the track from your truck separated from the seat. to the best of my knowledge (former Ford tec) all the seats mount to the track in a close enough way to be almost 100% interchangeable but the tracks are more model specific. but yes a 150 seat as a whole should bolt up.

If your good with wires, you can get a nice leather power seat from a navigator if your year range is good.

Jimbo1183 Thanks this.
  5. Bdr2431

Bdr2431 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I went with air ride. I had several guys that told me some loads require it and you can pick up extra loads. I know a guy that ships pharmaceutical machines that are porcelain lined and they go on air ride only. That extra investment might put extra $$$ in your pocket if your gonna keep same trailer for several years. I was offered a job by a friend and came off the road.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed advertising
    CMC1 and Jimbo1183 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.