Going O/O: Which Truck to Buy?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by csmith1281, May 29, 2017.

1. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I've had good luck with a used Schneider glider. It's a Freightliner Columbia with a Detroit series 60 12.7 and has been great for the year I've had it. It is a 2012 and had 429k on it when I bought it. All I've had to do to it is put a new alternator on it and ran the overhead when I got it. Well I've done lots of other preventative maintenance things but basically, it's been a great money maker for me. Paid $45k for it

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I like ice cream. I also like my "proprietary" engine, transmission, and rear ends. Then again, Mack dealers around here are pretty much everywhere...and that plays a role in what works best, too. I drive locally, and throughout the course of my day, pretty much ANY direction I run, I'm going to pass 3 or 4 different Mack dealers before I make it home again. If you can't find parts for the truck you're buying wherever you may be when you need them, it gets more difficult to justify the purchase. "Parts availability" is important.

csmith1281 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  4. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Find a job for the truck first, then buy a truck that fits the hauling you will be doing.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I have an opinion on this matter.

csmith1281 and Bakerman Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You do?

pray tell ...

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  7. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    I hace a T800 2010, Cummins ISX15. Truck loves a tanker but doesn't do to well on fuel with a hopper or van. She needs a 13 and a bigger sleeper with a mid roof. Intented to do all this but time and unforeseen repairs have delayed it, so tomorrow I am looking at swapping her out for a T660 if I like automatic trans.
    Point being here, my trucks in great shape for someone but I have out grown it with-in a year.
    Keep reading replies before you buy, and drive for someone small beofre you jump in. I say small because you can make mistakes, (not wrecks or tickets) but routing and not be under pressure to me somewhere right now.
    And yes, the other op, everytime I am home I have something to repair or clean.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  8. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    You're an OTR driver, who's been with Swiffy for 1 month, and you decided to become an owner / operator? Just one question. ........

What took you so long????

Slacker.

DSK333, nax and Bakerman Thank this.
  9. csmith1281

csmith1281 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA

10. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    That dude is awesome. He works Dolphins/Marlins /whatever else is going on in Miami. Scared the crap out of me and a buddy one time. He was one row behind us, and sorta crept up on us......

" uh huh......uh huh........COKE'S IN THE HOUSE!!!! "
    Almost had MUD IN MAH DRAWERS! o_O

11. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    In my observations, i'd advise against jumping into the lions den with only 1 month experience... i wouldnt jump into it with only 1 year even, get a couple years under your belt, learn the lanes, learn about everything you can, check out ooida.com, learn about licensing, taxes such as ifta for one and more.. there is A LOT to being an owner operator. Learn to be a driver first, i mesn really good, save evetything yiu can, figure out what engine you prefer detroit, cat, cummins? You like 10 speed, 13, 18? How do you want the suspension set up?

To me, and maybe i'll get hate, i like the 387 with a c15/eaton 10 transmission, i learned on it and the volvo vnl series. Let alone i only have 20,000ish miles under my belt with the c15/10 speed on that 387, so far it's what i like.

Diesels alone are expensive to upkeep, save all you money, buy what you want, maybe even have the engine rebuilt, so you know it doesn't have issues, even then, no gaurentees. I worked on these beasts for a few years before ever getting into the industry as a driver.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted