Going to a class 8 truck, from a class5

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by JourneyOffroad, Jun 23, 2020.

1. JourneyOffroad

JourneyOffroad Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2020
    alaska
    Title says it. Im not a for hire company, and gross the scales between 45k and 54k lbs. Ive got a class A. I have a company in Alaska and I use the truck to haul material in my course of business. The route is the ALcan, from alaska to california.

I started with a 2001 F750 with 6MT and 275hpcat 3126, but hated it because it had no power. a 4500lb trailer behind on the hwy would make it hard to maintain 65mph on flat ground. truck wieghed 16k.

SO, I switched to a 2011 ram 5500. truck has 300hp cummins, 6mt, 11,200lbs and outpulls the ford all day long. I can not only run hwy speeds at weight, but I get same mpg (5-7mpg) But after a transmission and an engine in 10k miles, im over the 5500.

Ive been trying to avoid a class8 truck to pull my goose. But today, I found a 1994 FLD120 flat top with a 60series and a 9 speed. under 500k miles, for $6700. Needs paint and some minor reconditioning, but I feel like I could be into this truck around $10k all in. Compared to spending 30-80k on another class6/7. its got pretty short legs- 4.10 finals with the 9 speed. but I still think it would run circles around the other options.

Im nervous running the larger truck, as its will then be a dedicated hauler. I dont know enough about licensing requirements and other hidden red tape I might run into.

I know the response here will likely be go for the class8 truck. Performance, MPG, and financially it makes sense. But what about the legal stuff? can anyone offer insight there?

00n0n_eUmvGkLo6Dc_1200x900.jpg 00p0p_4jpQZU4ObXw_1200x900.jpg img_hPcaKoi7fJ4Pw8u.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can you make it California compliant?
    Ask about that on the "Owner-Operator" thread.

JourneyOffroad Thanks this.
  4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

Where that shaker at so I can snatch it out from under ya!!!

I run a '93, baby 11.1L series 60, 4.10, & fuller 9. On tall 22.5 rubber it will only do 72mph wide open. But if I feel the need, it will do just that all day. 54,999 gross weight. It's down on mpg's right now, but still averaging 7.76..

I used to run a 1ton Ram for a few years before this. What you want to know..

Hulld Thanks this.
  5. JourneyOffroad

Apr 5, 2020
    alaska
    Sounds like exactly the same truck! Do you like it? why do you think your mpgs are down?

Have you bobbed yours or still running tandems?

my questions are focused around using the FLD with a gooseneck, and opening myself up for more tax, insurance, and maintenance costs.

DO you run into california with yours?

6. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    --Yes, I like it. Don't know what the inside of that one looks like, but from the outside it looks nicer than mine. I'm pretty sure my mpg has fallen because the overhead was adjusted poorly. It sounds funny too me right now, & I need to find a different shop to do it again..

--Mine was originally built from the factory as a single drive axle..

--I pulled a gooseneck with for the first 2 years. My insurance went down ~$3k when I switched from a 2012 3500 dodge. That's plated for 54,999lbs vs 36k lbs dodge. Keeps you out of 2290 heavy use tax. Maintenance seems about the same, but it did need some work to get DOT legal. Parts are little more expensive than a pickup, but should last longer too..

--California, currently has a 3day annual pass that I'm aware of for older trucks, & some other short mileage exemptions. Never been..

Do you have a DOT #, & run totally legit.? If you've been kind of flying under the radar because you are only moving your own equipment, you stand a better chance of continuing to get by in a smaller rig..

This is my fld.
    20200529_132343.jpg

clausland and JourneyOffroad Thank this.
  7. JourneyOffroad

Apr 5, 2020
    alaska
    I do have a DOT number, but as far as being totally legit- I really have no idea. It seems like every time I turn around Im doing something or missing some kind of permit or fee.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The whole point of OOIDA is to help with these questions.
    Give them a call and see what they can help you with.

JourneyOffroad Thanks this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Well, its like this.
    Do you go into scales when they are open?
    Maintain a log book or ELD?
    Carry the 750,000 minimum insurance?
    Have an unrestricted class A CDL with air brakes, & no auto trans restriction?

If you've been kind of skating by, (not here to scold you) it will be much more obvious in a freightliner. + truck under 14,000lbs GVWR are not subject to the California truck engine age restrictions. Meaning you still can't run one with tampered emissions, but you can run an older one no problem..

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. JourneyOffroad

Apr 5, 2020
    alaska
    I should clarify. I am a not for hire, which means I do not need carrier insurance or authority. Yes, I hit every scale house i see. most just wave me thru when they see not for hire even though im grossing 45k+lbs .Ive even been asked why I stopped. talk to 5 different scalehouses, get 5 different answers.

SInglescrew, my truck is a tandem drive.If I do buy it, Im going to flatbed it. Im considering removing a drive. My concern is, I wont have enough weight on the ground to get traction with tandems. Am I looking at this backwards?

11. JourneyOffroad

Apr 5, 2020
    alaska
    I did get the final word on Ca compliance. the only way mines going into the state legally is on a limited use exemption. which is 1000miles a year or less.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.