Going to Orientation!!!

Discussion in 'TMC' started by NJ01vette, May 24, 2008.

1. NJ01vette

NJ01vette Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Just recieved confirmation today, that I will be in Des Moines on June 2nd for orientation. I cant wait to finally get started.
    Plan on working hard, learn everything they want me to learn, and do as I am told.
    Question for current drivers...do newbies usually leave with thier trainer right from orientation or will they send us home first? I live in NJ, not sure if that really makes a difference or not. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance
    NJ01vette

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You will leave Des Moines mid afternoon on Friday. You will go out with your trainer when he leaves to make his Monday delivery. That might be Sunday depending on where the consignee is.

If your trainer happens to be in Des Moines you will leave from there.

In some cases you may not get a trainer right away and you will wait at home until one becomes available.

4. NJ01vette

NJ01vette Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Thanks Terry, for the quick response. I wonder why they didn't send me to S.C. since it is closer to my home?

5. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    There is a large demand for the Columbia SC orientation facility from just surrounding states. Besides you want to go to Des Moines anyway because the TMC owned Baymont Inn is much nicer than the cheap microtel in Columbia.

6. NJ01vette

NJ01vette Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I am glad to be going to Des Moines, I rather be at the main corporate center, so to see how the whole operation is laid out.
    The only thing I am not looking forward to is the day and a half bus trip to get there. I might just fly. I think they said they will cover $100 of the ticket. That means $200 out of pocket but 2 hrs. on a plane vs. 29 hrs. on bus is worth it to me.
    Cant wait to get started.

7. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have never been to the Columbia terminal, still I think that the Mother Ship would be the way to go.

The amount they will reimburse is based on what a bus ticket from your location to Des Moines will cost. Call recruiting and ask what it cost. If you do arrange your own transportation, do not be late. You should have some instructions faxed to you once you are accepted. There will be a number to call if you are delayed. Do not fail to call if you are delayed. You will be sent home if you do not call if delayed. They will get you there as early as the Saturday before classes start, I would get there no later than Sunday morning. You can see the sights, get yourself located, get all your paperwork done and not be rushed late Sunday or Monday morning.

8. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
  9. Tarheelcountryhaulin

Tarheelcountryhaulin Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Linwood, NC
    Good luck NJ01vette, I am heading for orientation in Columbia on June 16. I am very excited about changing careers

10. NJ01vette

NJ01vette Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Thanks Tarheel, good luck to you as well, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

11. NJ01vette

NJ01vette Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Also wanted to ask the current drivers, any idea of percentage of recruits that actually make it through orientation, I know that is hard to answer, as many factors come into play. I guess my question is once you are through orientation, are you basically home free?
    I assume your trainer will have a huge roll on whether or not you actually become a TMC member.
    Thanks
    NJ01vette

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.