Going to Prime on January 4th - Tanker Division

Discussion in 'Prime' started by buck_weat, Dec 12, 2016.

1. BQ Truck Driver

BQ Truck Driver Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I drive for Prime, reefer, from what I understand out tankers tend to spend a lot of time in the North East. Are you experienced or coming through the training? It is rare that they send new drivers directly into the tanker division, generally they want you to get some experience in reefer or flatbed then transfer...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Read the thread.

You'll see he went to Maverick back in January.

:biggrin_25525:

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. TankerDriver69

TankerDriver69 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2016
    48cpm is the highest ive heard. Granted im not haulin hazmat, or east coast, just dry bulk, but Im at 45cpm loaded, 32 empty tank. I drive in nevada, and Idaho, company driver. Also 20 to load 75 to unload.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @buck_weat .... what ever happened with Maverick???

6. rock hopper

rock hopper Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Drivers Seat
    You WILL spend a lot of time in the northeast.

7. buck_weat

buck_weat Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Jackson, OH
    Hello All,

I just wanted to post an update to this. I quit Maverick a couple weeks ago. I have nothing bad to say about them, other than I wasn't making the money I was hoping to. But that is to be expected for a beginner. I quit because I just couldn't stay out for weeks at a time. I thought I could get used to it, but it was just too long for me to be away from my family. So now I am looking for something with more home time. Again, I think Maverick is a good company, I just wish they had a dedicated account close to where I live so I could get home more often.

8. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for the update; sucks about the money because I've heard both sides of the coin there.... hard telling, every situation IS unique; know that from experience.

What's the plans for the future? Do you at least have a year under your belt, or close? Yeah, man. Gone, is not forgotten. Post the current requiem and maybe a few of us can help.

Best to ya,
    Tomcat

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  9. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    It's all good.

No matter how you envisioned what it was going to be like out here, there is really no way of truly knowing till your actually out here. Definately isn't for everybody. LOL

Least you gave it a go. Personally, would have tried to bite the bullet for at least 6mos, but sure you will find something more suited. Would have been easier to have lined up something else before you left......but, it is what it is right now.

One of my best students ever was able to get several offers locally & regionally after 6mos. He REALLY needed to be home to take care of the women in the family, but was fully prepared to do a year. Getting a good solid year in is best ( and shows stability, no hopping), but just one place not working out will not necessarily shut you out.

Told him to start looking (while still employed) & ignore those 1-2yr requirements. If they need drivers & you are able to open up a dialog, even better...get some face time, you might be surprised. If they get to actually meet you & you make an good impression, just may take that chance on you.

Best to you, & good luck on the search.

Watcha think, @Chinatown?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    rock hopper, G13Tomcat and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @FullMetalJacket - Jackson,OH is way out in the middle of nowhere!
    Ohio is a good state for any type of trucking.
    Veriha Trucking is home weekends.
    Bryan Systems may have something you like.
    JRayL has local/regional and guaranteed minimum weekly pay.
    Schneider probably has some dedicated accounts.
    If there's a Walmart Distribution Center around, find out which trucking company does their dedicated freight from the distribution center to the stores. Marten Transport has been getting a lot of those accounts.
    Crum Trucking - home weekly
    • Finishing Program for Student Drivers
    • $59,200 Average Yearly Pay + BONUSES
    • $1000 Minimum Weekly Pay - for Open Board Drivers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    FullMetalJacket and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Adding to what @Chinatown said....

There is a Wal-Mart DC in Washington Courthouse that I deliver to, about 60mi from you in Jackson.

1400 Old Chillicothe Rd SE. Not sure who does their dedicated, but may want to check that out.

:biggrin_25525:

G13Tomcat and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.