Going with CRST, comments please

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Sparky1982, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Sparky1982

Sparky1982 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    Well, me and the old lady are going to go with CRST. I know they seem to have a bad reputation, but it seems as though most of the reputation is based on the fact that its team driving, and a lot of people end up not joining with a teammate. I think we will do good, and already plan on watching them like a hawk.

Any comments on them, would be greatly appreciated.

Also I setup a blog to document our way through there training and driving for them, I am not sure if I can post the link thoug, so until I get told otherwise, I will not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerjaw

truckerjaw Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2007
    As a 3 year driver for CRST I will say this. Having a co-driver you can live with is the hardest part. You seem to have that beat. The number one thing you need to know is to stand up for what you want/need/believe in or they will walk all over you. But you can do well. If you have specific questions I will do my best to answer them

4. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    yeah, what he said !!

5. Sparky1982

Feb 14, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    Awsome guys. I was worried, but we have both decieded that no matter what bs we have to go through, we will at least do it for our 8 months. I think a lot of what any of these jobs would be with big carriers, is just making the most of it, and knowing how to work with them.

I have heard that the trucks are not maintained that well, is this the case?
    What can we expect to recieve as far as what kind of truck, and what will be in the truck?

6. truckerjaw

Feb 6, 2007
    As fas as the trucks go you are looking at getting either an International 9400i with a 435hp ISX Cumings or a base model Freightliner Columbia with a 515 detroit cut back to 450hp and both will come with a straight 10 speed E/F tranny. All of the old Lightning/Super trannys have been replaced.

How well there maintained changes from day to day and shop to shop. Some of our shops are better over all then others (Cedar Rapids Ia, Oklahoma City being the best) Like anything else, if you see sub-standard repairs, speak up. If its important to you, don't take no for an answer.

As for whats in the trucks, I'm guessing you mean options from the factory. Both types are about like a standard car with the options. I'm going to guess that you have a basic understanding of sleeper type trucks (them having a bunk bed setup, cabnets, exct).
    I would say because the person your going to be driving with is someone you will want to sleep next to from time to time then the Freightliner would be best. The lower bunk is wider then the International by about 6 inches. Also it sports a lot more storage room but it looses standing room in the sleeper. It will be hard for both of you to stand at the same time.

Both have separate a/c and heat for the cab and sleeper so everyone is happy that way. The International dose a better cooling job in the sleeper as it has 4 vents where the Freightliner has only 2.

Both have a place for a fridge, TV, CB exct. but none come with them. You need to get them yourself. Any truck stop / Walmart can cover you there. Its nothing you need to order special.

In my opinion the International soaks up the bumps better for the person trying to sleep but the Freightliner is a little quieter. So its a toss up there but you should be able to get used to either one easy enough.

Not sure what else to tell you. Don't expect a new truck. CRST keeps them around up to 550,000 miles so expect the worst and hope for the best. I have a 06' Freightliner that I got new and its sitting at over 420,000 miles now. Its still running strong with no major problems. But I have had trucks with less miles that where full of problems. There is no set way to tell if a truck will be good. Also be prepared to get some cleaning supplies as I have never moved into a used truck and not had to spend a lot of time cleaning it out. I pulled 6 full size trash bags out of one of them. Maintenance says they clean them.. ..don't hold your breath.

Hope this helps

C. Marshall Thanks this.
  7. Sparky1982

Feb 14, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    That is a HUGE help, thank you very much. Nice to find someone that is not set on just bashing the companies.

8. truckerjaw

Feb 6, 2007
    Just trying to be honest. I'm looking to move on but thats mainly because I want to be solo so I can focus on being healthier with my life style. I could bash CRST all day long but I could praise them too. The bottom line is they never lied to me. But I had to listen close. Also they did what I wanted. They got me my CDL. If your going to stick with your 'old lady' (your words ;) ) then there is good money to be made running team.

Another thing to consider. The medical insurance looks good. I learned the hard way that the dental is almost worthless when you are doing more then standard work. I had 4 teeth pulled and it was almost $1,500 out of my pocket on a $1,850 bill. Just a heads up if thats important thing to you

9. panhandlepat

Jan 12, 2007
    that's the kind of detailed info that newbies need!! good job T!!!!

10. cdr

cdr Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    west va.
    hey pat, you still going to p.a.m.?

11. panhandlepat

Jan 12, 2007
    yep, i'll be heading out sunday morning!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.