Good/Bad Truck driving schools

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by rich_t, May 29, 2009.

1. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States
    As a current student, I would not recommend Roadmasters in Columbus Ohio.

Equipment is very poorly maintained.

Backing Skills pad poorly maintained.

Most instructors seem more intersested in talking or texting on their cell phones than actually instructing. (I've had words about that with more than one so far about that).

I will be talking to both the training director and and school administor next week about these issues. I will also be sending a letter to their corporate office in Tampa.

I paid out of packet for about $5k for this school. I'm not paying to see the instructors talk on their #### cell phones. Most of my fellow students feel the same as I do about this particular Roadmaster training center.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Hey, thanks for the post. I had been considering going to Roadmaster in Columbus, but after talking to some other people, I changed my mind, and I'm beginning to be glad I did.

I have to ask, other than the constant texting by the instructors, how was the experience. How long have you been there so far? Can you give us more details besides the teachers being more interested in talking on their phones than actually teaching?

4. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States
    The classroom instruction was top notch (even if a bit boring at times). A lot of valuable information is provided. DOT regulations, pre-trip inspection, log books, map reading etc. The instructor I had for that phase was excellent.

There are a few excellent instructors there and I have learned a lot from them. But as I stated too many others are on their phones instead of instructiing. Proper instruction is critical especially when a student is attempting the various backing skills for the 1st few times.

The equipment is very poorly maintained and I've had several instructors concur with that assessment. Same goes with the skills pad. Very deep large pot holes in the concrete etc.

The placement director seems to do a good job; several of my fellow students had pre-employment offers by the beginning of the 2nd week of training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.