Good Companies for New Husband & Wife Doubles Teams to Make the Most $

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Jan 28, 2023.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    We are by no means about to dive head first into this. Just that my wife expressed some interest in doing this. My CDL needs to be dusted off, because I've been out of trucking for three years. I have 2.5-3 years otr experience. My wife would be going to CDL school for the first time.
    I would want this to be as easy as possible for her. So, she would need to go to a school where you can get a cdl quickly with an automatic restriction. We would both have doubles and hazmat endorsements.

My cdl is based out of Nashville and so is her regular driver license. We don't live in Nashville currently (we will be moving back to the USA from abroad), so are flexible on where she goes for cdl school (although I think it would be best to both have cdls from Tennessee) and also where we go for work. Employer definitely doesn't need to run TN. Hometime could be anywhere. The southern part of the country would probably be better so we don't have to deal with poor weather situations often.

Was thinking automatic truck pulling doubles on some sort of dedicated route. Probably out and back. I wouldn't want my wife to have to deal with different, challenging situations all the time. I don't think reefer would be good as we'd sit alot, and I don't want my wife dealing with challenging backing situations. The company would need to train my wife, and also possibly myself for a refresher. Then we would both go out as a team. Just want to make as much money as possible working somewhere for one year and then move on. Don't want to worry about loading anywhere, just drop and hook. Move move move.

What lanes are the best to accomodate doubles (big rest areas and truck stops with parking spaces specifically for doubles/triples)? Don't want to block the fuel island when it's shower time. Also we like to stop at least once every other day to do exercise (jump rope, weight lifting, jogging, etc.)

The truck should have a 2000W inverter so we can install a microwave, instant pot, and fridge if it doesn't already have one.

Was thinking hometime once every two weeks wherever we are. Preferably at a terminal. For two or three days.

Since my wife is the less experienced of the two, which shift do you think would be better for her? Day or night? I see pros and cons with both. Perhaps some other schedule suggestion?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    So, your CDL hasn't been used for a few years, and your wife a) has yet to get her CDL, an b) is incapable of driving a manual? Oh, I can see that the trucking companies will just be DYING to sign you up as a team.......o_O

Opus Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Line is where the money is. Good place for husband/wife teams and new cdl school grads. Each of you can make $100G - $125G per year. Might get a West Coast turn every week. Find out which cdl schools Old Dominion hires from.
    [​IMG]

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Be careful about choosing a cdl school. The short quickie schools, many companies won't hire from.

tscottme, insipidtoast and ducnut Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Home - S&S Transport
    • Our Kenworth T680s, Freightliner Cascadias, Volvo VNL 860s are on average 1.5 years old. These trucks are meant to feel like home with refrigerators, APUs, 1800 Watt Inverters, and Satellite TV (with Sunday ticket!)
    • Pets and Rider Allowed!
    • Teams start at .70 cpm
    [​IMG]

insipidtoast Thanks this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Dot Foods is building a new facility in Manchester, TN. Fairly close to Nashville, yet, more affordable. Their teams run dedicated routes, where you’d be home every week. You could potentially run open dispatch, but, not sure if that’s an option, for teams. Each driver can earn ~$120K or more. Their insurance package is nearly free. They have onsite, fully-staffed medical facilities that are 100% free. Team trucks (Volvo 760) are traded at the 2yr mark, so always new or nearly new. Inward-facing camera, but, the Volvo sun visor covers it. And, they’re only interested in footage, during accidents; not to check on you. They took me, after being off the road ~4yrs. They have specific schools, for your wife needing her CDL. They will pay for that, as well. The best place I’ve ever worked. I’d planned to retire with them, but, got sick. Nose around their FB pages and YT channels, to see what they’re about. There are transportation and food distribution sides to the business.

Transportation Company Jobs | Drive For Dot | Dot Transportation, Inc.

https://www.dotfoods.com/

sempergumby6105 and insipidtoast Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Snowshoes Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    insipidtoast Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.