Good Companies for New Husband & Wife Doubles Teams to Make the Most $

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I never cared if it's junk or not, I hook & go anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Hey troll, at what point in my op did I insinuate that's what I was assuming?

4. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    How does that work? Three people living in a truck?!

5. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    And how many points did you have on your license?

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    None!

7. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Teams run dedicated routes.

It’s a bit hard to explain, but, I’ll try. As I mentioned in your other thread, products not stocked at the regional DC’s get shipped out of the HQ DC, in Mt Sterling. Using Modesto as an example, there are 42 trailers earmarked, each week. Of them, the loads that can take 3+ days will go with a solo driver or get daisy-chained. The expedite loads will go with teams. They have “X” number of those loads set aside for expedite, each week. Therefore, “X” number of teams will run Mt Sterling > Modesto, every week. After they do that turn, they’ll usually have a shorter load that’ll be to a closer DC or a regular trailer swap location they run, every week. They have teams set up this way, because they absolutely have to have consistent expedite options, to everywhere, every week. On the flip side, it allows teams to have consistent schedules and miles.

Several times, I turned with the same CA team, in Moriarty. Those guys left home at noon on Sunday and were home Thursday. They did a Moriarty turn, followed by a Mt Sterling turn. IIRC, they were doing ~6K miles per week, at ~$2600/ea driver.

I don’t know how Manchester will be set up, for teams. To my knowledge, it’s only solo drivers doing trailer swaps in Manchester, right now. Hypothetically, a team could leave Manchester > Mt Sterling > Modesto > Mt Sterling > Vidalia > Manchester for a week. That’d be ~5800mi. Or, better yet, a couple Manchester > Mt Sterling turns, instead of Vidalia, which keeps a team out of Chatt and ATL. I don’t know. Hard to say what they’ll do with Manchester teams. It won’t take them long to get the DC built, though.

If you two are thinking Dot might be an option, you can always call Dave Ferrill, who is the head of recruitment. Briefly explain your situation and see if he can set aside an appointment time to conference call with you and your wife. Then, he’d have time to go over a rough gameplan as to how you’d need to move forward, if you did want to work for them. He may be able to offer suggestions of a more advantageous living arrangement/location, working arrangement, or whatever. That dude has been with them like 45 years. A true OG. There probably isn’t too many things he hasn’t seen or doesn’t know, when it comes to Dot. He would be your best bet for info/guidance.

PNwMtFlwr, insipidtoast and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Wow! Lucky lucky. .

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Very good question. For the best answer, you would have to speak with a current trainer. A recruiter could help too. My understanding is that they used to put you in a hotel room, but that may not be the case anymore

10. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I'd recommend finding out where you want to drive, then find out what schools they accept students from. As a general rule, community college programs are the gold standard for CDL training. They're usually the cheapest too. Check with your state's unemployment office for which programs they fund training through. I used the WIOA and it paid for almost everything

ducnut Thanks this.
  11. Turtlelegs

Turtlelegs Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Two sleep while one drives. The trainees can share a bunk while the truck is stopped. I'm pretty sure someone here has done this & said it wasn't horrible.

MSWS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.