Good Companies for New Husband & Wife Doubles Teams to Make the Most $

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Jan 28, 2023.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    I read a review you wrote of them from the 2014-2016 time period (it was on TTR's review page for ODFL). That route you had from Kansas to Rialto sounds like the exact route my wife and I would want. Rialto - What a great place to turn around in California - gets you pretty much as far out there as you can without getting into all the fray. Everything you wrote sounded great except for the equipment, but I guess you could still buy some of your own after market stuff like a portable stereo (don't want to wake up the co-driver with a big sound system anyway).

By the way, what did you mean by "wild" teams?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    "Wild teams" were teams that turned up to work, and were sent 'willy nilly' out in the network - could be 200 mile runs or 3,000 mile runs.

Obviously 750-1200 miles works well for team driving habits.

Just so happened, if you were running out of Parsons,KS, that 95% of their lane was out to Rialto,CA - all it afforded you was the right to NOT complain if they sent you to Denver, Portland, or other places on the odd occasion, basically you gave up your 'right' to 2 days off in Parsons,KS.

Still unbeatable revenue for team - with time off and all the benefits. Problem still remains - most folks can't handle the work.

I looked at my SSA earning s over that period and it reflects what I've always said about them.

insipidtoast and ducnut Thank this.
  4. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Does odfl give you the option of choosing which terminal and route you want to work out of, from a nationwide list of terminals looking for dedicated teams? Or do they make you stay in the state your license is from?

What aspect(s) of the job are you referring to when you say, "most folks can't handle the work."?

Would you rather recommend a standard 53' trailer dedicated operation like that rusty dog one that chinatown mentioned? I could see how the doubles would really limit the parking options. For example, how would you both stop for a shower? I guess the night driver could just block the fuel island at 2 in the morning, but the day driver wouldn't have that option.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    No - if you're flexible on location the DL state doesn't matter. Major hubs were Rialto,CA, Dallas, Parsons, Memphis, and Morristown,TN.

Can't handle the work - comes from a few teams that we recommended to ODFL, and they just couldn't hack the pace, especially if they'd come from reefer operations where there was significant downtime involved. This is literally drop/hook/fuel/scale/run - 24/7.

Typical week - Tuesday evening pack bags and head off 80 miles to Parsons, prep truck, buy groceries, hook set and go. Stop for a 2 hour nap to reset the night driver's circadian rhythm (me). 25-27 hours out to Rialto. Fuel/drop/hook/scale, go. Refuel at Sky City,NM. Shower and sit and eat. Go.

Back in Parsons Friday AM, rinse and repeat. Hit Rialto again Saturday midday - they have a shower at the terminal. Run up to Bakersfield, sit and eat - continue. Back in Parsons,KS Sunday afternoon - 80 miles home. Do all your running and chores and rest Sunday PM to Tuesday PM, then do it all again. 6120 miles a week. Multiply that by what is now well over 80 cpm and - well, if you like money and a job that can wipe debt or build wealth - there it is.

But after 7 years - it can grind on you. We couldn't do it again. But we don't regret doing it. It's just not for everyone.

Speedy356, REO6205 and ducnut Thank this.
  6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    They only wanted 6 months of recent experience for my wife who hadn't driven rigs before. Unfortunately she decided she didn't want to drive.

insipidtoast and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. TawcoTruck

TawcoTruck Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2022
    I'm not super familiar with them but Covenant seems to have a decent reputation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.