Good companies that hire recent CDL grads in the Dallas, TX?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by down2marz, Apr 16, 2022.

1. down2marz

down2marz Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2022
    Sorry for the paragraphs ya'll, I talk a lot and I tend to dip off into analysis paralysis when I'm researching a new career. I just want the best for myself.

Thread:

Hello everyone! I'm one of those people that likes to do extensive research before I jump into anything. I just want the best possible situation for myself and I try to avoid pitfalls that's all.

I have my CDL permit. I'm in Dallas, TX. I know there are options out here if I want to go with a mega carrier (FFE/KLLM, Swift/Knight, Etc) but I would like alternative information from you guys. I have the means to attend a CDL school.

What are some good companies that hire recent CDL grads from the Dallas, TX area?

There's a Roadmaster and Continental CDl School near my home in Dallas. If I go to either of those will that qualify me to drive with any of these hidden gems companies I see listed here ever so often? For example I'm interested in Trimac. Their website says they have an academy but there's no information available. They also state they accept recent grads from "schools approved by Trimac".

I'm sorry for the long-winded post. I'm new to this industry and I just want to get the best opportunity available for a new driver and not get abused by a mega my first time around. I make a great employee and I'm sure with great training I'll make a great driver. All help is appreciated.

EDIT: Also, I'm looking for more of a regional, linehaul, LTL sorta gig. I can't be away from my family that long. Currently I'm looking at KLLM's regional position since Lancaster is 10 mins from my home, but if there are better options out there I'm all ears.

EDIT #2: I see XPO is hiring in the DFW area starting at $32/hr. If I completed a CDL course and obtained my endorsements could I qualify for this position? I read elsewhere on this forum today that XPo is hiring drivers with 0 experience, is that true?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jethro712

jethro712 Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    chinatown be along directly. he will fix ya up. congrats n good luck.

Blue jeans, Chinatown and down2marz Thank this.
  4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Heard Stevens wasn’t bad, all Megas have their quirks, though.

Home Stevens website

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're off to a good start. Plenty to choose from if you attend a private cdl school and have all the endorsements.
    I won't go into the megas, but they're ok. Many drivers stay for years with the large companies. Just don't have what you're looking for.
    ~
    Trimac is ok. and doesn't have their own cdl school.
    Contact the company and ask which schools they hire from.
    ~
    Here's one that's home weekends & hires new cdl school grads.
    About US - Bulkley Trucking
    bulkleytrucking.com

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Line (Line Haul Driver)
    Dallas, TX 75236
    $100,000 a year
    Be a graduate of a State Certified and Licensed truck driving school, acceptable to Old Dominion.
    Line Haul is the coveted job with the highest pay.
    Home probably every day or almost every day. Usually run from terminal to terminal.
    [​IMG]

down2marz Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion has local pickup & delivery, but you spend every working day fighting city traffic.
    Line haul gives you the chance to get out of the city and on the open road every day and the pay is better.

down2marz Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    down2marz Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Geekonthestreet and down2marz Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Always apply to companies even if you don't think you'll be hired.
    Just because a website has "experience is required" doesn't mean that's a hard and fast rule.
    If you like the company, submit an application. Submit the application before calling; this way, when you do call, you can say, "I'm checking on my job application". This helps because the company already has your information on file & shows you're a serious applicant.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.