Good company for 1-6 months of otr experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by D0618466, Jul 18, 2018.

1. D0618466

D0618466 Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Currently going through a frustrating 10 days of being otr and not delivering one load yet. These past 10 days have been hell on earth went thru 3 truck, 5 breakdowns and I haven’t delivered one load yet, I’m really contemplating leaving, but I don’t want to go to another potty company, can anyone suggest a company (preferably dedicated) dat will appreciate a safe driver who doesn’t mind clocking over 600 Miles a day, I live in orlando Florida, so anything based near that area would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Breathe.

Let the common basic problems of breakdowns go away from yourself. You are not paying the repairs, your company is. I know you are not making much if any money sitting in the shop. But what YOU ARE DOING is correctly making sure that tractor trailer is in good working order.

The thing that shames me for you is that they gave you a tractor trailer that is breaking down so much. Either they gave you the oldest truck in the fleet because it's not a loss at all should you wreck it or the entire company is infested with a attitude that you should disregard a broken truck and run it anyway.

Which I believe is absolutely against regulations. If you have defects on a tractor trailer, have it fixed.

If you cannot do any work with a broken truck over a time which amounts to two whole weeks lost, breathe deeply and relax a moment before you diplomatically approach your Driver Manager and politely ask for a new truck. You cannot make any revenue, payroll or any money with a broken truck that refuses to be fixed in a timely manner.

Maybe you will be issued a virgin truck with perfect condition. If so, you had better be ready to go and be on time.

D0618466, Bookhacker and Lab work Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Be patient brother. It's a means to an end. See if you can get into another truck. Sometimes out here, breakdowns are that bad. They can have you down for a week or more. You have to deal with some BS but if your company has another truck, they should swap you out.

D0618466 Thanks this.
  5. Kstrong86

Kstrong86 Medium Load Member

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    I too live in Orlando, FL and my company has an opening for a driver. If you can PM me I can fill you in on the details and kind see if the position would be of any interest to you. I’m on the road 10 days and home for 4 days. Let me know if you are still interested. Not saying you should jump ship but if there are better options out there you never just want to limit yourself because you could be missing out on opportunities. PM if interested for details.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Be patient. If you leave now whoever you start with will want you to go out with a trainer again for a month or more. Put up with the BS for at least 6 months, and then if you still feel the need you will look more attractive to another company. Anything under 6 months and you're considered fresh out of CDL school.

When things settle down and you get a truck that runs good, you'll feel better about the job.

bryan21384, D0618466 and homeskillet Thank this.
  7. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Wow that sounds like a really bad company.

During orientation we were told if you break down you will be brought a newer truck, always an upgrade. And it will always be ready to go when you get it, clean and recently inspected. I had to wait 11 hours for the shop to get this one ready for me when I was broken down at a Loves. Since I wasn't occupying the side of a road somewhere they took their time and really got it ready for me. The #### truck was cleaner inside than I could ever hope to turn it back in. I was like OMG. How do I return it this clean? They had even armor alled the dash board, or used something that made it shine.

D0618466 Thanks this.
  8. Kstrong86

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Good point you made there. Thanks for that add on. Yes other companies will make you go with another trainer. I was just speaking on my terms. I’m the over the road trainer here and the only here for my company here in Florida and the training is depending on experience will be determined by me and my boss.

D0618466 Thanks this.
  9. Kstrong86

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Did they let you keep the truck?

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Kstrong86 - show a picture of that truck you drive.

11. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Here's the thing, you're one of many, like thousands, of new drivers that just found out trucking isn't all incense and peppermints and unicorns farting rainbows.

From your post I'm not sure if you have a month of experience, or ten days of experience. It doesn't matter, either way you lack experience.

Trucking is trucking. The base experience is 99.999% the same regardless of what company you actually drive for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.