Good company to lease onto?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Richter, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    That's the point..not all freight is good paying!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Do you want to be a truck driver or a small business owner?

I am not about to type out a long diatribe about the merits of % vs mileage ..... Bottom line is this...if you lease to a company that puts you in the position to haul freight at $.50 - $1.30 you are clearly with the wrong company AND as an o/o whatever company you chose to lease to if they have forced dispatch wich means you have to take "crap" loads you are clearly with the wrong company

In my honest opinion learn something about the trucking industry ( you state you have 0 -1 experience) before you purchase a truck

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  4. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I know a lot about the industry, and certainly have experience. As mentioned in my post, it was a bad load to get out of a bad freight area. They did not have anything else, so if I refused the load I'd have to bounce out with no pay. Even if your with a good company you will get the occasional crap load. When freight rates go down on % the driver sees it. When rates go down on /mile the company sees it and the driver keeps the same amount. I'm a business man and going /mile is simply mitigating some risk even if it means making slightly less money under ideal conditions. If you can pay for your truck and make a decent living at a /mile rate, why risk getting a bad load on % for the chance of making more. When my truck is paid off i'd be willing to take that risk, but while I owe a ton of money, I'd rather play it safe and not risk a few bad loads keeping me from making my truck payment.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    For all of your experience you still haven't figured out that you can't compete with rails and megas. The way you protect yourself from wild ups and downs of the market on percentage is by networking. Dry van has been dead and cheap for the past 2 or 3 weeks now and I'm still rolling up 1800 mile weeks at $3 a mile gross to the company.

6. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    You purchased a truck that you now owe a ton of money on without having a good company to lease on with?

:biggrin_2559: :biggrin_25514:

You got it all figured out....Best of luck

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Excuses.. you own the truck you make the decidions.. no-one makes you haul freight paying $300 on 600 miles? Who does that anyways? I doubt even MB_Guru goes there...

volvodriver01 and BigBadBill Thank this.
  8. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    you guys are harsh !! all Richter is saying is if he is paid on mileage, his profitability is locked in. If he's paid percentage he may have some good weeks, and some bad ones. He also points out that as the low guy on the pole he might get more of the crap loads. With mileage pay he knows he can make the same percentage on every load. What's so hard to understand about that ??

rickybobby and Richter Thank this.
  9. spacetrucker88

spacetrucker88 Heavy Load Member

you guys are smarter than me go forward air

10. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I understand the way guys debate the benefits of mileage over %. I am leased to a company on a per mile pay system and it is working for me. I pay for my fuel( i use the company fuel card and get there fleet rate with no charge to use the card), I pay my maintenance and IFTA and pay myself. Company pays all other expenses with no charge back to me. My base rate plus my accessorial charges has had me at 1.45 average per mile for the last 6 months. I'm not too keen on putting figures up on the forum because every one comes along with how they do better and blah blah, but at that average I have put a nice amount in the bank this last 6 months and also managed to keep all the repairs and maintenance made on time and as needed. I have not once had to put anything on a credit card and I allways pay cash for all work done. I have money aside for new tires, I have a savings account going for a rebuild, I am happy and making the money I had anticipated I would make.
    I am canadian and things are hard up here to find decent paying loads southbound out of central canada with a reefer (i haul dry in it as well). Basically the most available loads are Peat moss, Meat, recycled paper scrap, rolled oats and produce tote dunnage. These are the loads majority of carriers , large and small , are hauling to position the truck in the California/Arizona areas for northbound produce loads.
    I have seen the rates on these southbound loads and they most definately DO NOT pay well but theres just not much else going south so its what is hauled. On a percentage pay I would not even be making money to haul it. Thing is I get the mileage pay south thats better than the freight rate and the company I haul for gets a nice cut of the better paying northbound freight to cover there end.
    Just saying "percentage is better" is not true. And saying mileage is allways better isnt true either.
    It really depends on your location, the freight you haul ( deck , van/reefer, specialzed etc), what the competition is hauling for etc. I know in canada the big carriers like Bison and challenger etc are just driving rates through the floor and also covering the contracts so the little guy cant even get a foot in the door on the freight. Dont even start me on the east indian outfits!
    Truth is everyones situation calls for a different set up. If youre hauling on a per mile pay then you need to be on with a company that pays a fair rate that you can achieve your goals at. If youre hauling percentage as a leased on operator you better hope the company youre hauling for is doing there best to find the good paying freight so you can succeed.
    Rollin coal you and BBB and your guys are onto a deal that seems to be a good way of doing things but is very different to the way majority of carriers operate. You guys are doing some interesting things and I am real happy to see its working well for you yet its a different way than most people are operating. You have vastly more experience than me and I would not presume to denigrate what youre doing in any way to make my point so please dont take it that way. I watch the posts you guys make and really like the ideas and things you all talk about. It would be nice to think that BBB may try going International in the future as I would be interested in a Great White North division of F2F if it was ever an option!!

Richter and cisco Thank this.
  11. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I drive for risinger bros.I have leased on with many companies but I find that risinger tries to help you if you have a problem.I fell in a pothole and risinger has called every week to ask if I need help financially.They sent me money for Christmas and made my truck payment.All the other companies that Ive driven for would of not offered any help.Ive been off work for 8 weeks and am having surgery to fix my broken foot.Its nice to know someone will be there.Every company will have something to offer but what may be good for me,may not be the one for you.Make sure you write down what the companies offer you so you can compare.Some do your plates,fuel tax,trailer rental,discount fuel,maint. at a discount,and performance bonuses.good luck

Richter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.