Good News for old school truckers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lastkidpicked, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Finally, some good news to report!

I stopped at Johnson's Corner (Loveland Colorado) for all you can eat spagetti night.

Sitting across the counter from me was an O/O who was training a younger guy. I could overhear the Owner Op explaining things such as why you pull forward at the fuel island before going inside to sign. He was also talking about shower coupons, treating fuel cashiers with respect, and other things we all had to learn.

It was good to hear an older hand passing down good, solid experience to the younger guy and even better-- the younger guy was GENUINELY interested to learn the ropes the proper way.

There is hope out there, folks!! I'm grateful I got to witness it.

My question is, do you ever get to see an older hand helping a younger guy out like they did in the old days?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spacer

Spacer Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Little Rock, AR
    Good to see that. The "trainer" they saddled me with at PAM didn't like to back (he wasn't very good at it, and he hated that his "student" could out-drive him) so he'd park in the fuel isle every time. No, not just when getting fuel... every time. When I was driving, I'd either park the truck or pull past the fuel isle, and he'd bawl me out for doing it my way. Eventually, the whole trip had become a scream-fest, with him yelling about how there can't be TWO trainers in the truck.

So... anyway... glad to hear there are still some good 'uns out there.

4. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    I've never run into that situation, but whenever I'm in a restaurant and see really well behaved kids, I try and compliment the parents. Believe me, that stuff goes a long way.

5. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I've never seen this situation take place while I've been on the road. But my dad and some of his friends "trained" me this way back when I was 16 and the lessons have stuck. My biggest pet peeves are the way drivers act in public and when how they treat fellow drivers in todays enviroment. To be honest I would be more than happy to take a newbie under my wing, but I don't think they would last long with the schedules I keep running LTL reefer and lumping my own loads.

6. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Glad to hear of a real experienced O/O doing it the right way. The 6 month wonders that some companies now use as trainers scare me to death.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.