Good Night From II

Discussion in 'Swift' started by scottied67, Feb 19, 2014.

1. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Your Cascadia is outside temp controlled idle. I think the high side is 80 degrees, not sure about the low side. Pedal only speed is 60mph. Cruise will get you 62mph.

The jake lever has to be all the way up for cruise to work. To get to 62 set the cruise at 60 then use the + button to raise speed to 62. Now if you put the jakes on you can pedal speed to 62 and slow down to whatever as long as you don't tap the brakes. You can pedal it right back up to 62 if need be. Tap the brakes cruise is turned off and max is 60mph. Turn the jakes back off, hit the + button again and cruise should come back to where you previously had it set.

If your truck has the smart pass system, you can go a maximum speed of 67 mph, but you only get smart pass for 30 minutes in a 24 hr period. Every one that I have driven the 24 hours resets at midnight GMT, or 6PM CST. To use the smart pass, get to 62mph, then tap the accelerator 3 times to the floor quickly, hold it and you will get to 65. To get to 67, use the + button. Again the jake lever has to be in the off, all the way up, position to use this feature. Once you set your desired speed on cruise you can use the foot feed in the jake on position. However, with the jake on, if you let the truck fall back to 62, the smart pass will turn off and set speed will revert back to 62.

Backing under a trailer will take some getting used to. Since there is no clutch to feather, you need to feather the foot throttle. There is a bit of slow response to get used to, but in time you will get the feel of it and it won't seem like you are banging the heck out of the trailer.

edit...+ button for cruise should actually be set/acc on the left side of the wheel. The + button on the right side of the wheel controls items on the dash screen.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Thanks Inkeper.
    Most of it I have figured out, and backing hasn't been a problem. Maybe I have a light enough foot.

I don't know about a smart pass, but I do have something called elite pass.

4. Kymi

Kymi Light Load Member

May 14, 2014
    I'm in a 16 Freightliner. It has the smart idle where it'll idle below 20 and above 70. All other temps, to avoid the auto shutoff I just turn on the cruise and set it.

Smart pass is a bit tricky (at least for me). Got to remember to slow back down after a pass otherwise it'll keep using up your "30 minutes".

I'm about finished with Swift. Few more days and I'll have a whole year of not hitting anything. Plan to put my two weeks notice in (or quit) early January. The being gone all the time sucks. Got a few prospects to keep me home daily.

5. Kymi

Kymi Light Load Member

May 14, 2014
    Have you tried not waiting for the lights to come on? On/off to turn on Cruise. Dec/Set to set it. I've done it immediately after start-up as well as after stopping for the day. Only way to over-ride it when the lights start to flash is to hit the accelerator but that just extends it for 5 more minutes.

6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I'll try it.

That has been the long time standard for the Cascadia. I had one for a month in '14.
    It doesn't work with this truck, which is a '17, but I haven't tried to set it before the lights come on.

(Pause for few while I try it...)
    Nope. Didn't work.

And I can override it by tapping the throttle or the brake, or hitting the switch.
    It only works for another 5 minutes before I have to do one or the other again.

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Not kosher ... but you may want to try this. My son and I had a Cascadia with another company ... to idle, we would not set the tractor brake - chocked the wheel, for safety - and I think we locked a pole against the either the brake or the throttle. Can't remember which.

8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Well, it turns out I do have an inverter, it just isn't turned on.

I called the Memphis shop. I was told that there should be a switch in the left side door on the wall, but I can't find it.
    The inverter is in there and it looks like it is wired up. But no switch to turn on the darn thing.

9. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
  10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Well, all three Swift drivers had to wait today at Crown for our loads to be ready.
    I got there at 1135 for a 1200 appointment and was told my load would not be ready until 1700.
    When I got back they didn't like how my trailer smelled so they had me swap it for another that one of the other drivers dropped there. He was waiting at the Love's down the street.
    My DM freed it up, but I'll bet the other driver won't be happy. Except for my sweeping the trailer for him.
    That trailer was left open to air it out. I really hope it is good enough when he finally picks up his load.

It wasn't a heavy smell, but it is a can load. They thought that a couple hours would be good.

All that made no difference to my delivery.
    All of 650 miles, delivering on 01/02 at 1330.
    But considering the holiday weekend, I thought I should take it so I wouldn't be sitting the whole time.

At least I should get some good detention pay from this load.

11. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It's getting a bit lonely in here. No one around?

I'm at a little truck stop in the boondocks of MO, roaming phone and internet.

I was able to swing by the Memphis terminal today to get my new IFTA stickers.
    A guy in the shop was also able to help me get my inverter turned on. That made me very happy.
    An 1800W inverter, which is a very nice size.
    I stopped by Walmart for a small grill, and the first thing I made was a grilled cheese sandwich. I've missed those these past 6 years on the truck, except when I've been home.
    The specs say it uses 1000W but the inverter shows closer to 850W. It was fully heated in about 5 minutes, and less than 10 minutes later I was eating the grilled cheese.
    And it cost only $10. Such a bargain.

I'm loving this truck, except for the occasional hard braking the radar puts me through. It usually happens when someone goes into a right turn lane and is braking to make the turn. I know I'm OK but the radar thinks I'll hit the car. Instant slow down.

I also found a way to beat the temp controlled idle shut down
    All it took was applying a bit of pressure to the throttle using my tire thumper, wedged between the seat and pedal.
    I only raised the RPM by about 50, but it is enough to keep it running.

FerrissWheel, jenziedk and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted