Good place to buy a 4 axle tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Pilot1, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    Good evening Gents. Figured I'd post this seeing how I'm looking for a 4 axle.

Here it goes. I'm looking for a KW sleeper tractor; currently I'm using a tandem axle tractor, pulling a 35 ton double drop(mechanical); & looking to move up. My over-all goal is to move into the 8 axle category.

Here's the problem, locating these things appear to be real difficult currently, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Figured I'd reach out to some ol pro's here for advice.

As far as the tractor itself, I'd like Cat or Cummins 600HP,18spd, W900/T800, & loaded up pretty good. Can be new or "GENTLY" used. Which dealers mostly carry 4 axle tractors/if any & trustworthy? (Prob not many)

Also which ratio of rears to choose from?(something versatile) Any suggestions are welcome; as right now I'm coming up empty handed.

Lastly; I haul quite a bit of buildings, machinery, oversize crates, windmill hubs; things that require a stretch as well.

Koree.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Truckpaper.com Use the advanced search function looking for triaxle setups, if youre buying "new" call a few dealers with the specs you want and get their quotes. Ratio depends on where you are running, and what weights you expect to be hauling.

Pilot1 Thanks this.
  4. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Check these folks out. Have a few in their inventory.

http://m.decaturtrkandtrailer.com

Pilot1 Thanks this.
  5. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    Thank you gentleman! As far as running area; mostly East of the MS. I don't do a whole lot of commifornia. .

Weight wise, probably maxout approximately 140K or do. I'll chk out those reference's you guys gave.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    3.73 would be as high as I would go. Might even look into dual range rears. We have two trucks that have 4.10/5.23 rears. It's like having an extra gear and on hard pulls can be enough time keep you out of the low side on the transmission.

For most applications 3.90 seems to be a good all around ratio. I have that in my truck and have grossed 210k and did fine over Homestake Pass. We are also limited to 65 mph here by the state.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    No such thing as a gently used heavy haul truck. Don't let low miles fool ya.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    YES have to agree with this!

Some of the trucks I looked at look great on paper but were beat into the ground. I saw a few quad axle trucks that were priced too too much for their condition, needed a lot of work and so on.

One reason why I spent the money on a new truck for HH work. Ordering another at the end of summer and retire my first one because I don't believe there is going to be one that is used that I can have reasonable without dumping money into it to get it up to my standards.

9. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    I'll take both of those as "duely noted"..I've looked @ the Glider HH trks; just not to sure what the going rate for one should be. Hoover trks quoted "ballpark" $170k(Glider) for a 4 axle set-up(complete), with Cat 600HP.. I didn't think that was to bad; however I need to educate myself first to make an informed decision.

I figured here is where my learning will come from- Lol!

10. twostick

twostick Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Spencerville Ontario
    You didn't say what your current spec is ie wheelbase axle size and ratios.

If you have a good truck with a 280ish wheelbase, just have a pusher axle installed. If the wheelbase is too short, have it stretched or you could mod the back of the frame for a pin on tag axle. If you need some deeper gears, install a 2 spd or 4 spd auxiliary transmission, the 4spd being a little more flexible.

Again it depends on the condition of your current truck. If it's pretty much used up anyway then major purchase may be the wiser option over major renovation.

Kevin

11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    heavy haul truck, kind of a loaded title. most if not all heavyhaul trucks I have bought or looked at are either worn out or beaten up. you have to consider that 1 million miles on a regular freight truck is like 500,000 miles on a heavyhaul truck. I have had good luck converting a regular truck to a four axle. done quite a few of them. would I give up my 46 rears and high torque trans and big engine and go back to a regular one. probably not! if you not going to haul heavy every load then a good regular truck with a pusher axle installed will work just fine then if you want to up grade in a few years then go big! I know where there are about 5 trucks around the states right now that have good specs and wheel base to install the pusher axle.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.