Good pre-trip inspection videos?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MYSTYKRACER, Nov 1, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    We're up to the pre-trip inspection part of my CDL class and I've been re-watching this video to get it down:

Just wondering if there other good videos out there that people have used? Hopefully something shorter than an hour?!

Also, I have a question about this whole pre-trip process? I understand it's important from a safety perspective so why do we have to rely on memorizing this process?! Why not use a written a checklist that would produce better consistency and eliminate the likelihood of omissions or mistakes? After years of being in IT I can say from experience that using a written checklist for long complicated procedures is far more reliable and consistent than trying to work from memory. Personally I'm of the Albert Einstein school of thought, don't waste mental energy, or risk mistakes memorizing things that can easily be written down / looked up for reference.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I was bad, I went from a kid that’s 20 at the time, almost never checking my oil to having to remember what I thought was this big checklist!

I made individual “cheat sheets” from the under hood section, cab section, and coupling section. Eventually I got it down. But 8 years later especially if you get into the business side it becomes first hand nature and you start to realize how important each part is and can be.

good luck Mr. IT

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Make one up that works for you. Most carrier insurance companies have a version they pass out to clients. JJ Keller may have some floating around.. but end of they day, it has to make sense for you.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    After a while, you'll just kick the tires, make sure nothing leaking or hanging and get going already,,:biggrin_25516:

EuropeanTrucker and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Who says you can't use a checklist? If the DMV won't allow it, just get through the test and then do the pre-trip however and with whatever you like.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Tires ain't flat, no puddles on the ground....good to go lol

201 Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    If I sat with a freakin' checklist on every wagon I pulled, I wouldn't have made a dime, besides, half them RR wagons wouldn't pass anyway.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Exactly. I'm pretty big on a good pre trip (used to be a wrench) but if you did it the way they test it you would never get anything done. In my case.... tractor, trailer #1, dolly, trailer #2....I'm already 75 miles behind lol. I can say I do agree with the way they teach it tho. It's good for drivers who don't have the mechanical background to know what parts are what and what they should be looking for. Now if they actually retain and use any of that information.....that's for another thread lol.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I think most new drivers today memorize the items to pass, but on the road, they wouldn't have a clue, much less any tools to do anything. Their phone is their only hope.

tscottme and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Pretty much. I’ve seen guys hook up to the trailer and don’t even bother to look under.

I had fifth wheel jaw not lock all the way twice and once it didn’t move at all.

201 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.