Good reefer companies?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Wheat Light, Dec 2, 2008.

1. TNspeedy

TNspeedy Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Greeneville,TN
    ok i see what ur sayin i just felt like u were singlein me out and i agree lease aint for newbies...such as my self!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Not singling you out at all. Go get some good experience at Marten, and good luck! Good company.

4. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    Been here at Marten 4 years.
    Sure is funny how they posted 3rd qtr 2008 profits on thier web site, and yet some think we are going under or being bought out.(as posted at another site) or that our trucks are sitting.
    I had planned to be home on the for Xmas/ paid vacation on the 20th. We had a msg snt out on qc telling us Reno area and Nor Cal Based drivers, that the planners were over booked and chances are that we would need to run another 1,000 miles ,(got home the morning of the 23rd.) to help get rid of the over bookings. I did another run from Stockton to SLC and then back to Reno, then came home.
    So frieght is slow? We have at least 7 major customers (kraft,budwieser,Gen Mills, Foster Farms, and Ghiradelli. Jelly Belly, Ross Products )betwen So. and Nor. Cal, to keep us running. Don't tell me our trucks are sitting, is due to weather or breakdown related issues.

5. madbunny

madbunny Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    You know I never understood why everyone was so big on going to a company for reefer job when they can get a job with a mfg. I don't think they are hiring students but for those of you who have experience....every think of Tyson Foods.

It never made sense to me that you'll work for a company that probably hauls loads for a mfg. that has a fleet of trucks. Ever think of just going to the mfg for a job?

6. kingsson

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Well here is one answer from my perspective. I have picked up at a LOT of Tyson plants. You generally sit hours and sometimes more than a day for your load. If you work for Tyson, you do this ALL the time. If you work for another carrier, you might only have to do that once or twice a month, and other times have shippers that actually load you in good time and you can be on the road. Tyson does have nice Volvos, though... but that's probably because they live in them more than the drive them!

7. madbunny

madbunny Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Most I've ever had to wait at a Tyson plant was 4 hours....production had a malfunction. Not a good thing when dealing with hams. They always seem to want to overload me but I never really had to wait an extreme time.

Maybe it depends on what division of Tyson you picking up at? Been some time squeezes in some of the plants to get the rig in and out but never really had a problem regarding time.

Tyson is an example there are other mfg with fleets of trucks looking for drivers. First one that popped into the weary mind.

8. kingsson

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Several times, I have waited a day or more. Same thing at Excel. You can sit for a LONG time. Once at a Tyson I even waited TWO days. "Waiting for product" is the most common excuse. Usually you wait for your 10 hour break, but too often it is far longer. Swift seems to be a bit better, and they now have their own fleet as well.

9. Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Winchester,Tennessee
    try Tyson Foods Private Fleet,you have over 2 years,we have 3 plants in Tennessee,I live in Winchester. Check out my post in Tyson Private Fleet.

10. Tennessee Traveler

Jan 17, 2008
    Winchester,Tennessee
    stay away from Roehl Bad BAd Bad News see my posts under Roehl RefrigeraTED

11. Tennessee Traveler

Jan 17, 2008
    Winchester,Tennessee
    Tyson pays front end layover, meaning when you sign in your clock starts,if you are there 24 hours you get 85.00,never ben at a plant more than 10 hours,and usually they plan your loads that way,they can tell in dispatch when load ddt is, and they plan you accordingly example:
    Arrived logansport,in. 1000 a.m. load came out at 2000 p.m.,had 650 miles to run for 0800 a.m the next morning.remember most of our customers demand the freshest product available,chicken enters plant at 0800,is in my truck by 2000,delivered the next morning,you usually only wait when you p/u a fresh load. If you have a grasp of the meat business you will do great over here.:biggrin_2551:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.