Good reefer company a tall order?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Rhythmics, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Rhythmics

Rhythmics Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2021

Yep lol 12-14hrs hehe delivering Florida panhandle(beaches) from March-August I burn my 16hr day once a week without fail occasionally run out of hours and a driver sup has to bring me his pickup and drive the rig back. Also the warehouse gets behind so for about 4months Every mon and Friday I’ll be up at 1 at work by 2am and the trailer won’t be loaded til 4-5 I’ll get home at 8-9pm 17-20hr days not uncommon...unloading 20,000lbs of groceries up and down ramps stairs elevators greasy kitchen floors with a dolly certainly takes a hell of a toll compared to driving/sitting 14 a day. Sounds like you’re in worse shape than me though. I fell out the back of my trailer last summer with 300lbs of beef and my dolly landing on me and broke 2 ribs and bruised a lung ended up being out on comp for a month. Absolutely miserable and the first couple weeks back were hell. Work with a guy that had knee replacement surgery idk how he does it...I’m in great shape and it kills me daily. I imagine it’s def rough for you with surgeries.

O/O is a butt ton of work too especially the first year that’s what I was doing for 2yrs before going to Sysco. With a wife it would be easier but being single and not paying a dispatcher/accountant 90-100weeks were the norm. Last year I was on my own I did just under 250k but after expenses and setting aside regularly for breakdown/maintenance costs etc and my factoring company was a 5% rate(which is low without several trucks) I only really cleared about 115k. That’s really good but like you say at what cost? Insane work and stress for 20-30k a year more than being a company driver? Wasn’t worth it to me...and even then I almost never ran the lanes I wanted because I had to go where the money was. I had dedicated freight going out and ran the load boards getting back home(when I could) primarily did landstar/meadowlark hauling trane ac units 30mi from home but the loads usually went NE. I absolutely despise NJ/NY but when they pay you $6-7000 a load with all tolls reimbursed with 3 stops on a 1200 mile trip it’s hard to turn down but even at that I would often opt for less money going elsewhere because I hated the lane. Im content with being a company driver lol. Good luck to you though going OTR or O/O.

def going to give them a call tomorrow see what they say they can do for me with my home location.

Brettj3876 and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
  4. Rhythmics

Rhythmics Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2021

Any info/personal exp with Calex? Didn’t see anything on a google search other than an abysmal indeed review score(granted that was for warehouse and the whole nine). Their webpage also has zero info about a trucking position just a place for you to do a full DOT app lol a lot of work for no upfront info seems sketchy.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Great west coast runs.

Trucker61016 and Rhythmics Thank this.
  6. Rhythmics

Rhythmics Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2021
  7. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Van Eereden is a good company equipment is top shelf and the checks are good.
    Owned by a couple brothers that also own VE produce in Grand Rapids.
    I worked there in the 90s hauling Herman Miller office furniture to there west coast plant in Rocklin Ca.
    They run hard , no crybabies need apply or they will get rid of you.

Rugerfan and Weeble Kneeble Thank this.
  8. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    WEL COMPANIES

based in De Pere, Wi fleet of about 400 trucks pulling exclusively reefer and many opportunities for going to Ca from Wi and back...usually a cheese load or produce of some kind......i drive for them and love the miles and freedom to choose my route and fuel stops.....just old school trucking like it should be....

9. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    don't they have cameras ?

10. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Well only when you have a hard braking and it's to prevent someone making a claim when they in fact brakecheck you.......it only faces outward as well....but i see most companies going to cameras regardless where you go, unless you're an O/O....

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Those long days are why i left food service and went to the oilfield. Same amount of hours if not more sometimes but not hard labor. Just drag a few hoses around and some steel coulpings. I did a few team runs as a fill in with this older guy in his 50s. You could tell he was humping food a while by how he walked all hunched. In good shape just you could tell he's been at it forever

And get a good nap in at the rig/frac site waiting on other ppl. That happened a lot making the hours not so harsh. I do 350mi a day in the northeast now, deliver and pick up most days. Some days I wish i was running 650-700 mi a day instead of playing in traffic all day Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.