Good Schools-Good Trucking Companies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Texashelly, Nov 12, 2006.

1. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI

KD has more than enough posts to get PM's, he may have set it to not receive any.......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SeahawkFan

SeahawkFan Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Hey All, As the title implies, I am a FNG to the site. I retired from the military not too long and I am considering getting into truck driving.

OK, the questions. Are there any good CDL/truck driver training school in Minnesota?? (I have read about the VoTech schools, but the one near me is only 160 hours long and offers the course on a very limited bases. )

Also, What is good company to work for as Fresh Meet.

Thanks All.

4. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    I don't know about Minnesota, but look for local schools that are college or Jr. college sponsored that offer a 200 hr training course. And if at all possible, train in your state, that way you don't have to flip flop your license from state to state.

As for companies, try to seek out the ones that don't advertise a lot. Look also for a company that at least runs close to your home, or else it will take an act of Zeus to get you home.

Hope that helps.

5. SeahawkFan

SeahawkFan Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Only a few JrCollege & Votechs even offer a course. There are a few CDL schools, but as I am new to this frozen wasteland up here, and don't know much about them.

One of he regional carriers up here (Monson) is looking for drivers here, but can't find much about them on the net so far.

Thanks Again / 73

6. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    oops, i was looking at jimbo's post LUV. duh. LOL

most definately, i was going to INDY to train. license transfer, retake written test, transfer license. FEES FEES FEES.
    good call KD5

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Go to a community college to get your training. It'll be longer, but it'll be cheaper. Probably a lot cheaper. You'll also spend more time around the trucks, both outside and inside. I went to Alliance back east, and it was a ripoff. I spent 5 K (in 1995) learning to drive, and spent only about 10 hours driving on the highway the entire five weeks (2 weeks in-class, 3 weeks driving). During the driving phase, I'd spend half a day in a dirt lot learning to manuever and back, and half a day in a cab with three other sausages driving on the road. Yeah, when I was doing actual highway driving at Alliance, I wasn't driving at all most of the time--I spent 75% of that time watching somebody else drive.

My class never learned how to chain, never spent any time driving at night, and never learned to lump freight. And just in case your school conveniently leaves you in the dark, you do know that you'll be expected to unload wagons, right? Not to worry, though. You'll just hire lumpers, those scruffy folks who mill about docks that you'll hire to unload for you. Lumpers charge outrageous prices and must pay the docks a sizeable share of their "earnings", but they will (almost) always be around to unload your freight for you. Just make sure your company always reimburses you for 100% of the amount you give any and all lumpers.

I wish every day of the world I had that 5 grand back, by the way.

8. DeepC

DeepC Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Largo, Fl
    I went to a 12 week certified Vo-Tech. It hasn't made a bit of difference in getting a good job. I'm stuck with all the companies that hire the 14 day wonders. I got a better education and it cost less so I am happy there--but that's as far as it goes. The companies don't care what school I went to.

9. Bittersweet88

Bittersweet88 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2007
    i'm just starting to check out schools. thanks for the good info about PTDI!

if you have any other words of wisdom, let me have em! i'm all ears!!!!!!

thanks!

10. tdc

tdc Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2007
    WOW... Wait a minute. PTDI gets SS and DL info on the TRAINEES/GRADUATES of the schools they "certify"? That would be a very dangerous thing in many ways, starting with ID theft.

Scary! And it seems to me that such as practice would be prohibited in many states, but...

Can anyone confirm this?

Milestogo this is in no way a reflection on your post with which I totally agree.

11. MNHillyBilly

MNHillyBilly Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    You will see that same add run every 6 weeks.

So they really must be growing their business...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted