Good time of year to start tanker driving?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by none, Jan 3, 2013.

1. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    I just got my Hazmat, and my CDL.
    Since I do not have any experience, would it be a good idea to start with a tanker company?
    The company will have me hauling chemicals. And send me to school for free.

Woudl this be a good move, or would I end up getting my CDL taken from me? For violating DOT rules? :biggrin_25522:

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    You can start anywhere you would like providing a company hires you. Driving tankers carries its own set of challenges so I can't say it's easier than pulling a van. I'm not sure why you would get your cdl taken from you unless you were breaking laws which can be done no matter what you are pulling. If you are hauling hazmat then you just follow those added laws such as proper placard placement and so on. My point is get a job in what you would like to do and you will be staying off on the right foot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    just don't fall for the % pay, it's a ripoff, work for a company that pay's by the mile. most of the time they pay something like .41 loaded and .35 empty. work by the hour or by the mile.....

5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I would say yes. Being a new driver you should spend several weeks with a trainer. 6 weeks should be minimum if the company is at all safety conscious. Winter is the best time to be with a trainer. Its more challenging for a number of reasons. Start now and by the time you get into your own truck freight will pick up and spring will be right around the corner.

1catfish Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, take the tanker job. That's where the money is. You're very fortunate; most new CDL drivers don't realize those good jobs are available to them. Don't worry about DOT; the tanker school will teach you the rules & regulations and what to expect.

7. jsmith2012

jsmith2012 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2012
    If you don't mind me asking. . .What company is it and which school are they sending you to?

8. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    jsmith2012

The reason I will not say which company it is? That would be like cutting my own throat.

The competition for jobs nowadays, also they might revive a lot of applications that are better than mine. :biggrin_255: Sorry, might post in a while.

Jynxx Thanks this.
  9. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    I don't blame you there a bit. It it's competitive out there. I agree with others in that if you have the opportunity to run tankers then do it and gain the experience. There's allot you can do and some nitch markets you can get into like hauling fuel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

10. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I'll echo everyone's sentiments and say that if you have the opportunity, take it. Hauling hazmat in a tank can actually be a lot less complicated than a van. At least from what I gathered in the book.

11. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Minnesota
    I'm trying to get a job locally hauling gas. Good luck to you in your search!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.