Gordon Trucking Pacfic WA real truth

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Trucker truth, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Trucker truth

Trucker truth Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Hello all,

What I am going to tell you is what I have experience since being at Gordon trucking.
    As with any company do your research prior to hiring on with them and any advice you receive should be checked out.
    There are several means. FMCSA, Secretary of State in which they are based in, Better Business . Do what ever you can to be informed. Don't just take a recruiters word or another truck driver. We all know they happen to really stretch the truth.
    Gordon is a a big company with approximately 2000 trucks. They run dry van and refrigeration.
    Once hired you will go to orientation in Washington or Indiana. In the Indiana orientation you will get a hotel room that is with a room mate. They try to match people up prior to your arrival. Breakfast is at the hotel lunch is at the orientation. Generally a Monday to Thursday. Physical and driving Monday then all their class work. Truck assignment on Thursday.
    What ever you and the recruiter discuss in pay get it in writing by how ever email mail fax. Keep a copy of it because you will be ask to sign a document that shows your pay if it is not what you agreed on show them this and they generally will change it. It should also included any bonus for signing on with them.
    They pay every week. You will get a pay stub by mail the following week. They do direct deposit through Comdata or it is on your Comdata card.
    They do have electronic logs by Qualcomm. Dispatch is by Qualcomm but you can call your driver manager. It is a forced dispatch unless you can't for a good reason. 24 hour dispatch.
    The equipment is ok not great but not bad. Always do your pre and post trip. Shops are alway busy. They do have a 24 call in for breakdown but prefer you use the Qualcomm. Safety is their number 1 issue, don't think of running illegal with them you will be fired.
    Trucks do not run 65 mph some might but they are generally set at 60mph. I was told it is due to the trucks performance such as miles per gallon.
    I currently drive a 2011 cascadia it has an apu with a 1800 watt power inverter. They do not pay for truck washes which I found very poor. A truck should be washed at least once a month I feel.
    I average between 2200 to 2500 miles a week.
    Health insurance is Blue cross blue shield with no copayment at dr office. You got to meet a deductible 1st. They will discuss it with you in orientation.
    All in all they are a decent company. If you have any ? Please ask me I will do my best to answer them.
    thanks for reading my post.
    By the way they do not go into the New England area. Which just breaks my heart not.

Snowshoes, truckinmike1984 and jomar68 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snowshoes

Snowshoes Heavy Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Been talking to a recruiter, still not sure if I want to change companies though.
    How are they about getting you home for regular hometime, and I am also a member of the National Guard, Are they pretty good about getting people home for stuff like that.
    Thanks

4. Trucker truth

Trucker truth Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Snowshoes
    Im out of the Indiana terminal. I get home every weekend but I took less per mile to do so.
    On the National Guard issue you would have to talk to them and make them put it in writting. You would be in all likely hood be based out of one of there north west terminals.

Snowshoes Thanks this.
  5. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    My question is why is this in the "Welcome wagon" thread and not the "Gordon I love you" thread? Think reading the topic title of the thread could help.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  6. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Hey Trucker Truth, I am considering Gordon after getting my CDL from a private community college school. Do you know anything about their OTR training? How is the equipment really? Do all units have APU's, etc? I am most concerned about driver comfort. I live in Los Angeles, do you know anything about the western region? How are the people you work with? Do they have integrity, etc? (I know, I know...) Any updated info you have or know is very much appreciated? Thanks.
    GWG :biggrin_2558:

7. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    D O G....Where are you..? Kinda wondering if I should throw out a bone or a beer.? Both?:biggrin_255::biggrin_2559: Oh yeah.Welcome to the forum O.P. :)

d o g Thanks this.
  8. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    No, not every truck has an APU. A small amount of older trucks that are assigned to specialty fleets don't have APU's (I'd guess 10%). For example, the Safeway fleet in WA state runs from Pacific to Spokane and most don't have APU's.

Equipment condition is primarily a driver issue (IMO). You have to stand up to the DM/Planner who wants to run with a sick truck and say "no, this rig is going to get fixed". I'm on 1st name basis with 3 shops now, because I'm a real pain about a good working truck. I don't care less what it looks like, I just demand it runs as advertised.

9. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Palazon! I get it. How do you not cross the line and become a pain in the #####? Do newbie's get trucks with APU's, etc? How is the company overall in your opinion? A good place for a newbie fresh outa school? Good people? Integrity, honesty? I don't care for hometime, etc. I just want a good, safe truck that has all if not most of the creature comforts drivers want and NEED! Thanks.
    :biggrin_2558:

10. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    No problem. Yes, most drivers get Apu'd trucks. Demanding a properly running truck is not being a *PITA*(figure it out... LOL). I don't put the truck into the shop for a bad 12v power outlet... but it WILL drive, brake, turn smoothly, etc.

Overall I'd say GTI is a good place for those who getting started, but is more in line with the 1-2 year experience crowd. They aren't very good about teaching you small things, expecting you to "just know" them. I'd been here 8 mo before I found out I was supposed to send a directed message to Safety to let them know I'd done a 34 hr reset. There's very little "hand-holding" to help you thru a transition into their way of doing business.

People are generally good (every company has some jerks) and no one will out and out lie to you. Planner A on day shift will tell you one thing (drop it at x yard) while Planner B will say "no you have to deliver that", etc. Lack of communication between office workers, or office to truck is a major issue with GTI (but that may just be my fleet/terminal). I have one DM who wants to schedule runs while the truck is in the shop with no eta.. and tried to get me to run in a loaner after my truck had been in shop all day (no rest).

Trucks are generally safe (examine them carefully, trust no one). Often a driver leaving a truck (new truck or new job) is so happy to get to his new situation, that he doesn't write up the issues on his "former" truck to get them fixed. Make sure you demand a fresh mattress. Comfort: My rig has an APU with heat and A/C, 1500w invertor and swivel drivers seat. Stereo is good, w/aux input and USB. There is a circuit for CB. Most have 6 12v outlets. 10 spd transmissions, 475hp Cummins (some Detroit 60's and new DD-15), cruise control, 3 stage jake brakes, johnny brake handles. Cooler is your problem as is microwave or coffee pot. Closets are a joke, my shirts don't even fit...

11. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Oh, also make sure GTI is going to accept your driving school before you get your hopes up. They are fairly selective.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.