Gordon Trucking Pacfic WA real truth

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Trucker truth, Feb 14, 2013.

1. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Wow, Palazon, thanks much! I really appreciate it. Yes, the schools I am considering do place with GTI. How are the miles? I live in Los Angeles, does that help or hurt? Hometime is no biggie for me, just want safety and comfort! Anything else come to mind that you want or can share? Thanks.
    G MAN :biggrin_2558:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Miles will depend on your fleet and your running style. For example, I'm on T/C fleet and I get 2500-3400 miles a week. That is roughly the western 1/2 of the US. I hate CA and OR (55mph). Generally I drive 10 hrs a day. I start at 0330 and end in the early afternoon (easy parking, showers etc). I get to the recievers area asap, and notify dm/planner of my eta about a day ahead of arrival. This gives them the option of dropping the load, and sending me out on the next one. This helps me keep my miles up. Also they give the longer runs to people who stay out longer (3-4 weeks).

As far as LA, if you are on a regional fleet (Nevada, CA, Arizona - NCA is common in your area) your miles will suffer, 500-800 mile runs. A dedicated account (home depot or lowes for example) your miles will depend on your route but should be very consistant. An open fleet (T/C or western 11) will give many more options and more miles, but will vary depending on company needs.

Oh and I'm happy to help. I just want to make sure you have the info to make a good decision for you. Each driver is different and will have their own needs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Remember what I said about jerks? Here you go...

Truck in shop, used a loaner last night. Got back to the yard at 0130, set pta to noon. Phone call from DM at 1000 to take load from Pacific to Spokane (300 miles) starting at 1400. Phone call at 1230, dm changing plan to pick up near midnight in Tacoma to go to Kennewick at 0430. I tell DM I'll be getting some sleep so I can cover that. 1500: new phone call from DM adding another load prior to the midnight pickup. Attempted resolution with Fleet Manager and was basically told "tough noogies".

5. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Wow thanks. Sorry but what does T/C mean? I would like western 11. Do newbies get that or are they stuck with the crap (NCA?)
    My mentor at school likes GTI. I'm beginning too as well.

6. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Up here, you select your fleet before orientation. T/C is Temp control aka reefer.

7. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Oh thanks. How is freight? Do you have to load or unload? Same trailer? Any drop and hook? What is your average wait for loading and unloading? Days? Hours? Is T/C better than dry van? Pros? Cons? Any help is very much appreciated. GTI is my number two choice so far. Thanks.
    G MAN :biggrin_2558:

8. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    T/C pasy 2 cents more a mile than dry van. If you go t/c you will pull the occasional dry van. You get the extra pay for having to babysit the reefer, and the ungodly hours that reciever want to be delivered at. You get detention after 2 hours at both the shipper and reciever, the best policy I have seen. (No sitting at the meat patch for 2 days with nothing to show for it). As for unloading vs. drop and hook, its probably 50-50. If Gordon will take you I honestly doubt there is a better starting company out there. Like others have said, there is a lot of little stuff that they just expect you to know, but dont be afraid to ask questions of other drivers. As for hometime, they are insanely good. None of this "we will try to get you within a day or two" BS. When you request hometime you put in the date and hour you want to be home, and the worst they have ever done by me was I was 90 minutes late getting home on a saturday. And their planners are the best in business, you will not sit unless you need a 34.

Of course I say this all with the caveat that you must be willing to work hard. To stay busy I have had several temp trucks for a day or two, and run day cab work shuffeling pallet trailers when freight was slow. But overall I would say 2500 to 2700 miles a week is average. I was doing a lot better than that but then the truck had a hiccup that put me down for two days, but even so it will be 2200 this week with a reset so I can roll some more.

Palazon and Rick_C Thank this.
  9. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    For anyone who wants to know,I have been with gordon for almost 4 years now. It started out a great company,really driver oriented. But in the last year things have really been going downhill. They opened the terminal in Indy a couple years ago and have staffed it with Celadon rejects. Now it seems to be turning into another one of those companies that just wants to hire the cheapest drivers they can get and the hell with senior drivers who make better pay. They make no effort to retain any of the senior drivers who are leaving(i speak from first hand experience) and sometimes give the impression they want you to leave.
    The miles are good if you are willing to stay in the northwest all winter and I do. That being said,I myself am a short timer here. Have applied elsewhere and hope to be gone soon. I have seen them fire guys for pettie things recently and I feel like I am working for a company that I must be very careful to cover my own rear.
    Hope this info helps

10. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Cougfan brings some valid points. As I've said "every company will have it's warts". In this type of business, nothing will be perfect. I jubst seem to be on the planner "poo-poo list" at the moment. Another week or 2 and he'll find a new favorite booger to pick on.... :biggrin_2559:

11. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Just applied and was accepted, waiting to hear the offer. I've got 11 years out here, 5 & 1/2 with the current company. I think Gordon would be a good fit for me as I love driving west, what are the things I can expect as a seasoned driver?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.