Got a call from Werner Recruiter today!

Discussion in 'Werner' started by bug83, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bug83

bug83 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Sound Beach,LI,NY
    Hi all, I received a call from a recruiter from Werner this afternoon. He was telling me about a dedicated acct for Family Dollar stores. It's ded. out of Rome NY, home on weekends, driver unloads yadda, yadda yadda! I live on LI and have been looking for a more "local" or regional position. I just started at a local food chain(Stop&shop, home delivery). Any advice from "present" Smurf-drivers out there? I have been out of a truck for almost 4 months now, and am getting a bit nervous(anxious even) there won't be too many opportunities left out there a few more months from now:biggrin_25512:! Thanks for any replies!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Who was the recuiter that told you that? It could be true,than again it can a b.s story just to get you in.

4. bug83

bug83 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Sound Beach,LI,NY
    His name was Brian, he also mentioned stop pay $25, $85.50 to unload the trailer, oh and the .34 cpm per mile spleal!:biggrin_25525: So don't know if it is worth the effort,ya know!:biggrin_2551:

5. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Yeap,they got you fool:biggrin_25512:.Heres the real deal,forget 34.cpm,not true,you will start at .26cpm not 34cpm.Also, after training you get to pick your own truck,they pick or give you a few to choose from.The very first truck you will get after training will be a all bet up p.o.s.I have a buddy who used to drive for them,after he got done with his training,he sat 3 days before he got his truck.He told me he had issues since day 1 when got get.He spent more time at the shop than the road.He also told me that after your first solo loud you get to go home,may not be true.He had got home for the first time after he did 3 loads which was about 3 weeks after his training.Make a long storing short,he was also most away from home about 10 weeks! 6 Weeks with a trainer,and them 4 weeks doing 3 loads by him self.After 6 months he left.The last few checks he was under $ 500 bucks a week.Nope,no werner for me,but if you wanta be used go ahead.But if I was you,stay away from werner.Dont jump on the first company that prehires you,there lots of other better compies out there.Good luck what ever you do. Drive safe.

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The stop pay is accurate. My hubby drove for Werner on a Walmart dedicated out of Tomah, WI. The mileage pay probably includes potential safety bonuses, etc., but hubby was getting .31/m on the dedicated. I'd try to find out what the miles are really like though, as they had so many drivers on the dedicated routes in Tomah that the drivers were lucky to break 2,000 miles a week. That's why hubby's not there anymore.

Don't count on them caring about anything but the truck and the load. Hubby had a trailer brake fire (mid-winter ice issue) on one set of trailer brakes. Got the fire put out, and when he sent for road-side to come check everything out to make sure that the trailer was safe to be moved, the only thing they were concerned about was whether he would make his stops on time. They didn't ask if he was OK or needed any medical attention. It was shortly after that he returned their truck.

7. mademistakesb4

mademistakesb4 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I understand the company wanting to know about ETA's for his stops but still it is common human courteousy to ask a person if they are ok and uninjured especially after dealing with a fire where he could get burned and if there was ice out he could have fallen while putting it out going around the unit.....it takes just as much time to be a uncaring butthole as it does to simply ask "are you ok", sorry that he had that experience but sadly its so true not just with the Blue Ball Wagons but others too

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    That happened at night, and we all know how charming the night dispatchers can be. His regular DM was actually rather ticked about that. The company he is with now treats him much better.

9. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    God I hate night dispatchers......... they always fall asleep then the phone system goes to that away settin (happens when they miss "X" number of calls cause there fast asleep, or they hit a lil button) an u can't get ahold of them.
    especially when you are broke down

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The weekend guys are usually not much better! Don't even get me started on load planners either. Most of them couldn't run a flea circus on a dog.

11. FallsInc

FallsInc Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Ohio
    well to be fair the night guys don't sleep up there... not enough time. nights has an average of 250 drivers per dispatcher. it's not that they are screwing off, it's that they really don't have time if it's not important. nights is only there to hold our hands till days gets back. load planners, well they can die in a fire.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.